punjabi game pitto garam!

If you have lived part of your life in Punjab and especially in a village, by this time your childhood memories might have come alive. Yes, it does refreshes the sweet memories of ones childhood which takes you back to the years when you had nothing to worry about and the only thing you liked was to play and enjoy the life.
Although before I discuss Pithhoo I would like to bring into attention that this is one of the games which is still a big craze in villages of Punjab. I am sure those who have never been to a village might still be glazing what the heck is Pithhoo. This particular article is especially for those Punjabi people who have lived their childhood in big cities or abroad and have never come across this game which every kid in villages of Punjab loves.
In the game of Pithhoo, as in most sports/games, there are two teams being made which compete with each other. The number of players in each time can be any where from two and more depending upon the number of kids show up to the village ground. The field size is also not defined it can be any where around 1000 sq ft to 10000 sq feet , Usually in villages no one cares about the size of the field.
There is no special equipment required for this game except a soft rubber ball and few flat disc stones (usually 5 to 6 are enough). The stones are placed on each other, thus making a small tower and kept in the center of the playground. One of the team is given a chance to be a striker and the other is called fielder team. The captain members of both the teams stand facing each other at a distance of 10 to 15 feet, and the ball being placed between them, respective team members make queue and line up behind their respective team captain. The game is ready to start now.
The captain of the striker team tries to hit the stone tower with the ball with a direct hit, If the ball does not hits the stones and is caught by any of the opposite team member after a single bounce, the captain is marked out of the game and have to sit outside the field and wait till his team has finished their turn. This way each member tries of the striker team and if is marked out have to sit outside the field, till all members are out, then the opposite team gets to be the striker team. The interesting part, which is the main fun, happens when the ball hits the stone tower, guess what happens ??.
The stones scatter on the ground and everybody can be seen running around the field. At this time the striker team members try to fix the stone tower back without getting hit by the ball. The job of the fielder team is to hit the ball to as many members of the striker team before the striker team members can buildup the stone tower back up.
You could easily see a lot of co-ordination and teamwork being exercised during this chaos by both teams as both the teams strives hard. This chaos ends if members of striker team are unable to build the stone tower back up and get hit by the ball or they successfully build the tower. If the tower is built back, the striker team can accumulate points or can also call any one member of their team from outside of the field is any one was sent out. Once all the members of the striker team are out, then the opposite team gets a chance to be the striker the game starts again.
Now this exciting game is not seen much in cities and big towns, but still can be seen among the kids in villages of Punjab.
Let us know if you have ever played this game in your life , I would like to hear what was your experience and how did you feel about it ?

Mandeep Kaur Guraya

MAIN JATTI PUNJAB DI ..
Bachpan diyaan yaada tazaa karan layee a lot of thanks miss Kaur.
Main ik joint family nu belong kardi han.... jadon main chhoti c tan saade ghar vich ik ikalli main hi kudi c... baki sab munde.... so main apne veere areyaan naal almost har game khedi hai.....pithhoo tan bahut hi jyada.... garmiyan diyaan chhuttiyan ch :pop jado saade sare cousines v pind(village) aa jande c taan assi pithhoo bahut khed-de c... Haye Rabba kithe gaye ohh din.. hun tan kise kol gall karan da v time nahi hai.....
Anyways.. mera experience tan bahut hi achha reha hai is game da.. te je koi mainu hun v khedan nu kahe tan main sab kujh bhul bhula ke hune hi khedan nu tyaar han.. i love this game :)

Miss Kaur jinna nu is game da nahi pta ohna nu samjhaan di ik koshish main v kardi han... I hope ke mostly lokaan ne "HUM DIL DE CHUKE SANAM" movie tan jarur vekhi honi hai... us movie ch jadon AISH di entry hundi hai tan oh ehi game (pithhoo ) khed rahi hundi hai.. so jinnu na samajh aaye ohh movie vekh lo :p

tybhyfy
eek.gif
arp.gif
:plank:plank:plank:o:o