SGPC: Definition of Sehajdhari sikhs

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Chandigarh Giving a detailed definition of who a Sehajdhari Sikh is, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) today submitted an affidavit in the Punjab and Haryana High Court. The SGPC submitted that the definitions of various words and phrases used in the Sikh Gurdwara Act, 1925, were provided in Section 2. As per Section 2 (10-A), a Sehajdhari Sikh is a person who performs ceremonies according to the Sikh rites; who does not consume tobacco, katha or halal meat; who is not a patit (apostate) and who can recite moolmantar.
The word Sehajdhari consisted of two words: sehaj which means slowly and dhari which means to adopt. Hence, Sehajdhari Sikhs were those who were born in a non-Sikh family and expressed their desire to adopt Sikhism gradually, adopt its tenets with belief in Guru Granth Sahib and the ten Gurus, the affidavit said.
"Once a Sehajdhari becomes a keshadhari Sikh, he under no circumstances by cutting or trimming his/her hair, beard or eyebrows can claim to be a Sehajdhari. Similarly, a person born into a Sikh family cannot claim to be a Sehajdhari by trimming or cutting his/her hair, beard or eyebrows in any manner," the SGPC affidavit said.
Meanwhile, the counsel appearing for Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee tried to bring distinction between a Sehajdhari Sikh and a Sikh. The DSGMC had filed an application in the High Court, seeking intervention to bring clarity on the issue.
Notably, the issue arises out of a petition filed by five students from various parts of Punjab belonging to the Sikh community. They had alleged that they were denied admission to Guru Ram Das Institute affiliated to Baba Farid University on the ground that they trimmed their beard; plucked their eyebrows and did not profess Sikh religion.
Their counsel had contented that there was no distinction between various clans of Sikhs: Amritdhari, Sehajdhari, Keshdhari and others. Taking note of the contentions, the High Court had issued notices to the SGPC, the state of Punjab, Baba Farid University and the institute. Later, the jurisdiction of the petition was widened to states of Haryana, Himachal and Union of India since the Gurdwara Act is applicable there as well.

Ramta

-

"Once a Sehajdhari becomes a keshadhari Sikh, he under no circumstances by cutting or trimming his/her hair, beard or eyebrows can claim to be a Sehajdhari. Similarly, a person born into a Sikh family cannot claim to be a Sehajdhari by trimming or cutting his/her hair, beard or eyebrows in any manner," the SGPC affidavit said. quote]

Compulsory to be a Keshdhari sikh for one born in a Sikh family ??

-

The Sikh Rahit Maryada, drawn up by the S.G.P.C. in 1945 after wide consultations, defines a Sikh
to be a person whose faith is in one God, the ten Gurus and their teachings and the Adi Granth.
It is thus clear that sahaj-dharis are not excluded. Bhai Ardaman Singh in his article 'One Guru -
One Movement' writes, 'Sikhs as a whole are also known as the Panth. The Panth includes all sorts
of Sikhs whether perfect or imperfect, whether still novice or fully responsible, whether sahaj-dhari
or of any other samprada. Anyone who believes in the Guru and gurbani [Guru's writings] and has
faith in no one else, cannot be denied to be a Sikh, and therefore, is a member of the Panth.'

Thanks

-

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Guru Ram Das and Baba Farid, jihna de naam te institute & university hai, je mud aan ta uhna nu bhi admission ni milni, as neither of them was Sehajdhari / Amritdhari.

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA
There's a lot of difference b/w sikh & guru ka sikh...

tfs dhillon
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en]; NokiaN73-1/3.0704.1.0.1 Series60/3.0) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA
What do you mean :-?
i hav read sumver dat when v r born in sikh family...automatically Singh or Kaur is attached to our name...n wen v grow up v keep sayin dat 'i m proud to b sikh ' or ' proud 2 be khalsa ' .although v dint did anything for our religion.a person who cut his hair or beard call himself sikh or even ppl like me who dont cut beard or hair or not do anything which is against our religion r only sikh,not guru ka sikh ...guru ka sikh ohio jo khande baate da amrit chakke..
Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; [en]; NokiaN73-1/3.0704.1.0.1 Series60/3.0) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

J@tti

..Majajan..
Who said cutting beard is against Religion? Sikhism stands for greater things such a fighting injustice, being truthful, not believing in superstitions.. don't associate Sikhism with Keeping Hair and being Vegetarian. If a Hindu keeps hair would he become a Sikh? When I was young I kept hair just because I did not think about cutting it.. does that mean I was more of a Sikh then?

pps309

Prime VIP
Guru Ram Das and Baba Farid, jihna de naam te institute & university hai, je mud aan ta uhna nu bhi admission ni milni, as neither of them was Sehajdhari / Amritdhari.
Dhillon ji hor galla te main kuch nahi kehna, coz aa akali (i mean badalkiye) ki karde aa, ki nahi. I do not believe and trust any of them. Aj SGPC ohi boldi jo SAD(Badal) kehndi aa. May be aa kal nu fer definition change kar den. Dharam is a politics for them.

Par jiss Guru Ram Das ne Amrit da Sar (Amritsar) banaya, Guru RamDas Chak Nagar sirjya ohna nu v amritdhari hon lai haje hor v kuch proof dena pena si?
Oh ta aap amrit dekar gaye sareya nu. Dujjeya nu Amrit da Sarovar ohi de sakda jehra aap Amritdhari hove.

Sanu ehje comment to bachna chaeeda jitthe appa bina soche samjhe apne Guruan Peera baare kuch v likh daiye. Te naal tusi sentence complete nahi si kita Sehajdhari/Amritdhari Sikh.

If we read your complete sentence it will be Guru Ram Das and Baba Farid, jihna de naam te institute & university hai, je mud aan ta uhna nu bhi admission ni milni, as neither of them was Sehajdhari / Amritdhari Sikh.

Bhul chuk galti maaf.

pps309

Prime VIP
Jitthe jisda daa lagda oh ohda hi dharam nu marori tarori jaanda. Apna ullu siddha karan baithe aa saare.

Guru Gobind Singh ji ne Tav Pasrsad Savaiye ch likhya
"Kur kria urjhio sabh hi jag sri bhagwan ko bhed na paio"

Bhul chuk galti maaf

Preeto

~Parnaam Shaheeda Nu~
Who said cutting beard is against Religion? Sikhism stands for greater things such a fighting injustice, being truthful, not believing in superstitions.. don't associate Sikhism with Keeping Hair and being Vegetarian. If a Hindu keeps hair would he become a Sikh? When I was young I kept hair just because I did not think about cutting it.. does that mean I was more of a Sikh then?
bhenji i really don't agree with u here................ ik singh kehlo jan sikh kehlo hai tan sare ikko ajj kal loka ne singha nu sikho tan vakhre karta ki ji singh baal ni katde per sikh dillon sikh huna chahida bahro jida marji hove, tht is not true........... ik sikh di pehchaan he kesa ton aa............... Guru Nanak deve ji ne sikh dharam shuru kita ona ton laike Guru Gobind singh ji takk kise guru sahibaan ne kes ni katte.. jay ehe jaroori na hunde tan dasa guru sahibana cho koyi ik guru hair cut bhi ho sakda ki to prove ki kes jaroori ni haige sikh dharam ch.................... do you know tht harek bacha janam laen vele sikh hunda aa.. baad ch ona jo bhi hundi muslim karde aa oho karde onu hindu jan muslim banaiya janda... they say ki jina cher ik hunda da munnan ni kar dinde ona cher bacha hindu ni giniya janda.. jede kes hon oho sikh akhvounda aa... ehe sirf thuanu ni keh sahi per harek os bande nu kehni aa jerda kes katke eda de excuse rakhda ki han kes jaroori ni jan meat sharab shana jaroori ni......... ehe sare mann ni parcoun valiya gallan aa...
bhul chuk di khima...

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
bhenji i really don't agree with u here................ ik singh kehlo jan sikh kehlo hai tan sare ikko ajj kal loka ne singha nu sikho tan vakhre karta ki ji singh baal ni katde per sikh dillon sikh huna chahida bahro jida marji hove, tht is not true........... ik sikh di pehchaan he kesa ton aa............... Guru Nanak deve ji ne sikh dharam shuru kita ona ton laike Guru Gobind singh ji takk kise guru sahibaan ne kes ni katte.. jay ehe jaroori na hunde tan dasa guru sahibana cho koyi ik guru hair cut bhi ho sakda ki to prove ki kes jaroori ni haige sikh dharam ch.................... do you know tht harek bacha janam laen vele sikh hunda aa.baad ch ona jo bhi hundi muslim karde aa oho karde onu hindu jan muslim banaiya janda.. they say ki jina cher ik hunda da munnan ni kar dinde ona cher bacha hindu ni giniya janda.. jede kes hon oho sikh akhvounda aa... ehe sirf thuanu ni keh sahi per harek os bande nu kehni aa jerda kes katke eda de excuse rakhda ki han kes jaroori ni jan meat sharab shana jaroori ni......... ehe sare mann ni parcoun valiya gallan aa...[
bhul chuk di khima...

Namani ji, 2 gallan dasso

1. tuhannu kidha patam sabh guru keshdhari sige,
  2. Guru Nanak dev ji de ghardeya ne uhna da munnan kyu nahi kitta ?

pps309

Prime VIP
The more strict you make a religion, the more you drive people away from the religion
Yes, you are right. I guess Sikh religion shuru to hi bohat stirct raya hai. Enna strict raya ke SIkhi follow karde hoye a) Guru Arjun Dev Ji nu tatti tavi de baithna paya, b) Guru Hargobind Sahib ji nu Gwalior di jail katni pai c) Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib nu Sees dena paya d) Guru Gobind Singh Ji nu Pura Vansh Saheed karna paya e) Panj pyareya nu apne sees dene paye f) Baba Banda Singh Bahadur nu apne bache de tote muh ch lene paye g) Kinniya hi Singha nu apne ser nejeya ta tangwane paye, band band katoune paye, charkhriya te chadna paya h) kinniya hi singhniya ne apne bachya de totte kare hoye haar gal ja paye i) Baba Deep Singh nu Granthi hunde hoye apna sees talli te dhar jung karni pai.

Kinnne hi hazara ehje example aa jitthe Sikhi bohat strict te costly pai aa Sikha nu.
Hun sawal aa aaunda, ke ohna nu maran di ki lor pai si. Ehna cho kinne hi singh (je sarre nahi ta) apni rehat maryada, 5 kakkar shad ke easy sikhi wal jaake apni jaan bacha sakde sige.

I don't know why they did so? I guess they were just mad, they could have adopted the easy and less strict version of Sikhi and could have saved their life. Were they pschyopath?

Look at us, now a days no one really forces us to cut our hairs or stop playing kirtan music. Still we are not keeping 5K's and living happily.
Yeah at some places aborad (like at Airports) they stop me coz I wear turban. Turbantors will always be taken out from the queue even though there is no metal detector alarms.
Some companies fire their employees, some schools suspend the kids, when they find that they are wearing the ceremonial Kirpan.
These stupid guys still fight cases but do not cut hair or take out their kirpan.

When someone asked these stupid turbantors why the hell they are lying about those mandatory things coz they know few sikh guys who do not wear turban and kirpan. Then these stupid turbantors do not have answer. Sadly this stupid turbantor cannot say that these guys do not practise the religion coz these non-turban, non-kirpan guys widely claims that they are true Sikhs, only turban or kirpan cannot make a sikh.

P.S-> Meri sabba nu hath jor ke ehi benti aa ke tusi kesh rakhne, nahi rakhne, kirpan rakhni nahi rakhni thodi marji. Par ghatto ghat enna nu enna demean na karo ke jo rakhde aa oh kisse din jawab den joge na rehan ke kyun rakhe aa.
Main aap amritdhari nahi haiga, je koi mainu puchda ke tu kirpan nahi paunda ta main sirf ehi kehna ke main apna dharam 100% practice nahi kar raya.

Esda matlab eh nahi ke appa sareya nu Guruan naal pyar nahi ja appa mande nahi. Appa loki mande aa par sarri gallan nahi mande ;). Jinna sadda man karda ohni mande aa, so appa MANMUKH aa sarre de sarre hi. MANUMKH sikh matlab dabru ghasru sikh :-p. Hun har koi GURMUKH ta nahi hunda, so there is nothing wrong in being MANMUKH, its natural. Just accept it, yes I am MANMUKH. Kinne ta bana paa ke, kakkar paake v Manmukh hi reh jaande aa, just be bold and accept it.

I personally respect Munda Wakhre Type Da (Guri) for his boldness, noticed him so many times that he will accept what he is. Keep it up bro....

pps309

Prime VIP
Regarding this thread and definition of sehajdhari.,

I personally believe ke pella ta dharam, caste te enna sab cheeja de naa te koi reservation hi nahi honi chaeedi.

Par je ho hi gayi aa, ta I guess aa definition of sehajdhari is more philosphical then practical.
Je aj koi sehajdhar (i mean non-keshdhari) admission lenda. as He is sehajdhari (going to be keshdhari in future, as per definition). If the guy comes out of college after 4 years and still he is not keshdhari, are they going to snatch the degree certificates back..?????

So this all sehajdhari definition and admission on that basis is rubbish.
Better ohi hovega ke, jo v bacha sikh family to belong karda, admission should be open to all of them, whether he is Patit, Sehajdhari or Amritdhari.