Awareness : The mega thread

onlycheema

Banned
This thread is without direction. It's just about creating awareness about anything you may feel about. My main motive will be pasting articles that can give you some direction about punjab's present and past problems and some glorious moments too. Understand these articles and come up with your own analysis and understanding and don't just believe them on face value.

Remember it's not religion against religion thread, it's about fighting injustice.

onlycheema

Banned
Music of Today

Punjab water 'is risk to health'

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Punjab water 'is risk to health'

‘Chemical fertilisers in our water’

http://www.greenpeace.org/india/Global/india/report/2009/11/chemical-fertilisers-in-our-wa-2.pdf

Monsanto has a fellowship in PAU Ludhiana : Just for reference and awareness of some agricultural scientist out there.

http://web.pau.edu/pau_docs/fellowship_brochure.pdf

Poverty in Punjab.

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

Please do find time to read articles and comment on them, discussion and arguments is the reason world is progressing. (or atleast that's my view relevant to science)

onlycheema

Banned
What are the good punjabi literature available to punjab's masses? I feel punjab doesn't have a very good newspaper which gives good thoughtful insights, literature is one thing that can stimulate creative independent and thoughtful thinking in young brains. Jag bani's, punjab kesaris don't help the matter much. Yellow journalism is prevalent all over the world and is not a india specific problem. These papers feed on paranoia, but for each THE SUN, there is GLOBE and MAIL, and then Washington post. What am i missing here? Does punjab have a regional intellectual medium (literature) to foster young minds away from katrina kaif news?

pps309

Prime VIP
What are the good punjabi literature available to punjab's masses? I feel punjab doesn't have a very good newspaper which gives good thoughtful insights, literature is one thing that can stimulate creative independent and thoughtful thinking in young brains. Jag bani's, punjab kesaris don't help the matter much. Yellow journalism is prevalent all over the world and is not a india specific problem. These papers feed on paranoia, but for each THE SUN, there is GLOBE and MAIL, and then Washington post. What am i missing here? Does punjab have a regional intellectual medium (literature) to foster young minds away from katrina kaif news?

Punjab Spectrum seems to be good, its an online news site.
Some bi-weekly magazines like Khalsa Fatehnama, and Sikh Siyasat also gives another angle which is always missed by mainstream media.

onlycheema

Banned
Punjab Spectrum seems to be good, its an online news site.
Some bi-weekly magazines like Khalsa Fatehnama, and Sikh Siyasat also gives another angle which is always missed by mainstream media.

Is there something in print? One thing i always place emphasis is on editorials and other articles on that page.

The video you posted looks to be good. I just watched first ~10 mins of it.

onlycheema

Banned
The ugly

"National Crime Records Bureau says over 20,000 farmers in Punjab have committed suicide since 1997 due to the fact that they are heavily in debt and unable to repay their lenders."

"NCRB data record 166,304 farmers’ suicides in a decade since 1997. Of these, 78,737 occurred in five years between 1997 and 2001. The next five years (from 2002 to 2006) proved worse, seeing 87,567 farmers take their lives.This means that on average, there has been one farmers’ suicide every 30 minutes since 2002."

The Hindu : Front Page : 17,060 farm suicides in one year

And Corruption makes NYTIMES Front page :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/24/world/asia/24india.html?_r=1&hp

pps309

Prime VIP
Is there something in print? One thing i always place emphasis is on editorials and other articles on that page.

The video you posted looks to be good. I just watched first ~10 mins of it.

Khalsa Fatehnama and Sikh Siyasat are biweekly magazines, theywere print-media. Not sure if they still running or shut down.

pps309

Prime VIP
3 ਚੀਜਾ ਤੋ ਡਰੋ :- ਅੱਗ, ਪਾਣੀ, ਬਦਨਾਮੀ__
3 ਚੀਜਾਂ ਤੋ ਕਦੇ ਨਾ ਹੱਸੋ :- ਹੰਝੂ, ਭਿਖਾਰੀ, ਵਿਧੱਵਾ__
3 ਚੀਜਾਂ ਚੁਕੱਣ ਤੋ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਸੋਚੋ :- ਕਸਮ, ਕਦਮ, ਕਲਮ__
3 ਚੀਜਾ ਲਈ ਮਰ ਮੀਟੋ:- ਧਰਮ, ਵਤਨ, ਦੋਸਤ__
3 ਚੀਜਾ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਲੜੋ:- ਅਜ਼ਾਦੀ, ਇਮਾਨਦਾਰੀ, ਇਨਸਾਫ__
3 ਚੀਜਾ ਵਾਸਤੋ ਤਿਆਰ ਰਹੋ :- ਦੁੱਖ, ਮੁਸੀਬੱਤ, ਮੋਤ__