Art & Craft How to Make a Decoupaged Clock

Mandeep Kaur Guraya

MAIN JATTI PUNJAB DI ..

Find out how to create a personalized clock using strips of Fabric.
Age Guideline: 10 Years and Up
Time Required: 30 minutes + (Does not include drying time)
The above age and time guidelines are estimates. This project can be modified to suit other ages and may take more or less time depending on your circumstances.

Let's begin...

######​

Before you start any project it is easiest to gather together all of the supplies. For this project you will need:
Clock Kit
Fabric
Decoupage Medium
Buttons or Brads
Strong Glue
Small Fabric Plate
Paint
Clear Acrylic Spray
Ruler
Cutting Mat
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
Foam Brush
Pen or Pencil
Paint Brush
Now we can start crafting...

######​

Cut about 8 strips from different fabric. The strips should be wider on one end that the other. They should not all be the same size or shape. You might need a few more or a few less depending on the size of your clock face. Lay the Fabric on the clock face and trim and cut more fabric as needed. The ends of the Fabric should be hanging over the edge of the clock face.

######​

Working in small sections using a foam brush, coat the clock face with a generous layer of decoupage medium and stick on the fabric strips. Smooth each pieces as you go. Make sure there is plenty of extra fabric hanging over all four edges. Let the decoupage medium dry.

######​

Once the decoupage medium is dry on the front of the clock, flip the entire thing over and secure the ends of the fabric on the back side of the clock. I used a combination of craft glue and tape to hold the ends in place. The tape can hold the fabric ends in place until the glue dry. I even left the tape there once the glue dried because I figured it wasn't hurting anything and couldn't be seen!

######​

Now you need to coat the face of the clock completely with decoupage medium. Let this dry.
Continue this step until your clock face has a smooth surface.

######​

The easiest way I found to figure out the proper placement for the clock numbers is to use a small paper plate! I found a small paper plate that fit perfectly on the clock face. You could also trim down a larger plate until it was the appropriate size.
I started drawing lines evenly spaced around the back of the paper plate, using a pen and ruler, until I had spots marked for all 12 numbers. All I had to do was make sure they were all fairly evenly spaced apart.

######​

Place the paper plate on your clock face making sure the lines are all going in the right direction. Make sure the lines that will be 12:00 and 6:00 are straight up and down.
Use a strong glue to attach the brads, or whatever you will use to represent each number, in place. Let the glue dry before you move the clock.

######​

While you are waiting for the glue to dry on your clock numbers, you can paint the clock hands to match your clock. This step is not necessary, but it adds a nice finishing touch. Once the paint is dry, seal it with a few thin layers or clear acrylic spray.

To finish your clock, simply slips the hands in place following any directions provided by the clock kit your bought!
Now hang your clock and enjoy, This also makes a great gift.

Last edited: