Ouya sold out within a day of hitting store shelves

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
The Ouya console is shaping up to be quite the success story. Within a day of hitting stores, the console seems to already be out of stock at Amazon and US game retail chain GameStop. However, there is also some bad news; not everyone who pre-ordered the console has gotten it yet. According to Develop Online, Ouya boss Julie Uhrman talks about this on the Kickstarter campaign’s backers only blog.

"I am pissed. Some of you have not yet received your Ouya -- and, to you, I apologize,” said Ouya founder Julie Uhrman in the post. “I did not promise to ship to *most* of you before we hit store shelves. I promised to ship to *all* of you."

Sold out already

The console costs $99 (Rs 5,900 approx). It comes with the console itself and a controller. An extra controller costs $50 (Rs 3,000 approx). So far, there is no word on when the console will be available in other countries. However, it is available on some online stores that have international shipping.

Back in May, Ouya CEO Julie Urhman had revealed that the company had raised $15 million in funding from a bunch of new investors. The funding round was led by Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, with participation from Nvidia, Mayfield Fund, Shasta Ventures and Occam Partners. Combined with the $8.5 million it raised on Kickstarter, this brought Ouya’s total funding amount to more than $23 million.

Ouya has faced quite a bit of criticism since it shipped its developer units out. Reviews for the console have not been very good. Head of Developer Relations Kellee Santiago responded to the criticism by saying that the benchmark tests were done on an "older development system", and that the company's aim of providing high-quality gameplay experiences still exists.

"I think it's fundamentally about experiences the developers make," she said. "What are the quality of the experiences themselves? Our goal at Ouya is to empower developers to provide entertaining experiences for the living room."​