Making Your Settings Easier to Find: Facebook

DBF

Mad
In an ongoing effort to bring your privacy controls up front—right where you share—we've organized and updated the location of some settings to make them easier to get to, and added tools to help you manage your content.
The latest updates include:

• New privacy shortcuts in the at the top of the page
  • A new Request and Removal tool for managing multiple photos you're tagged in
  • Settings are easier to get to, and some have been reworded in plainer language
In places where you share posts and photos throughout Facebook you'll also find new education about how to control what you're sharing. This includes reminders that stuff you've hidden from your timeline may still appear in news feed, search and other places on Facebook.
To help you understand how things are organized today, here's a detailed list of the setting updates:

Introducing a new setting

When you're tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren't already in it?

This is a new setting in the "How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions" section of the timeline and tagging page, and it controls what happens when you're tagged in someone else's post.This setting defaults to Friends. This means when you're tagged in a post, you and your friends can see the post — even if your friends were not in the original audience. For example, if Sally shares a photo with her friends and tags you in the photo, Sally's friends, you and your friends will be able to see it — even if your friends aren't friends with Sally.If you don't want all of your friends to be included, you can adjust this setting. Remember: This setting doesn't apply if your friends are already in the audience, such as with a photo shared to Public.
Settings that have moved inline next to the things they control

Who can send you friend requests?

This setting has moved inline next to your friend requests. Click
at the top of the page and click Settings in the upper-right corner. Note: You can also access this setting in your privacy shortcuts, where it is called "Who can send me friend requests?"
Who can send you Facebook messages?

This setting is being replaced with new inbox filters that are right where you check your messages. Go to Messages › Other and click Edit Preferences to choose Basic or Strict Filtering. With Basic Filtering, you mostly receive messages from friends and people you may know in your Inbox. With Strict Filtering, you mostly receive messages from friends in your Inbox. Messages that don't go to your Inbox go to your Other folder.
Existing settings and tools, now also available in privacy shortcuts

Who can see my future posts?

This setting can be found in the "Who can see my stuff?" section. Just click the audience selector to set the audience for your future posts. This is the same control you find right where you post, and changing it there will update it here. It also remembers your selection, so future posts will be shared with the same audience unless you change it. Note: You can also access this setting from your privacy settings page, where it is called "Who can see your future posts?"
Where can I review all my posts and things I'm tagged in?

This tool can be found in the "Who can see my stuff?" section. Click "Use Activity Log" to see photos you're tagged in and things you've hidden from your timeline, which can appear in news feed, search and other places on Facebook. Note: You can also access this tool from your privacy settings, where it is called "Review all your posts and things you're tagged in."
What do other people see on my timeline?

This tool can be found in the "Who can see my stuff?" section. Click the "View As" link. Note: You can also access this tool from your own timeline or your timeline and tagging page, where it's called "Review what other people see on your timeline." Remember: Things you hide from your timeline can still appear in news feed, search and other places on Facebook.
Whose messages do I want filtered into my inbox?

These filters can be found in the "Who can contact me?" section. You can choose Basic or Strict Filtering. With Basic Filtering, you mostly receive messages from friends and people you may know in your Inbox. With Strict Filtering, you mostly receive messages from friends in your Inbox. Messages that don't go to your Inbox go to your Other folder. You can also access these filters by going to Messages › Other and clicking Edit Preferences.
Who can send me friend requests?

This setting can be found in the "Who can contact me?" section. Note: You can also access this setting right where you check your friend requests, where it is called "Who can send you friend requests?" Click
at the top of the page, then click "Settings" in the upper-right corner.
Block

This tool can be found in the "How do I stop someone from bothering me?" section. It lets you list the people you want to block on Facebook. Note: You can also access this tool on the blocking page, where it is called "Block users."
Settings that have been updated, including language changes and moving to a different page

Account, privacy, timeline and tagging settings

Now your privacy, timeline and tagging settings are together with your account settings, so it's easier for you to get around. Use the updated navigation on the left to get right to your different settings: General, Security, Privacy, Timeline and Tagging, Blocking, Notifications, Mobile, Subscribers, Apps, Ads, Payments, Gifts, Support Dashboard.
How You Connect section

One setting from the "How You Connect" section of the privacy settings page has been replaced, one has been retired and two have moved to a new section on the privacy settings page. Click the setting name below to see individual descriptions of the changes.

Timeline and Tagging section

This section of the privacy settings page is now its own timeline and tagging page and has been organized into 3 sections: "Who can add things to my timeline?""Who can see things on my timeline?" and "How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?" These settings help you control what people see when they visit your timeline. Remember: Things you hide from your timeline can still appear in news feed, search and other places on Facebook.
Apps, Games and Websites

Most of the settings in this section have moved to the apps settings page. The apps settings description has also been updated to read: "On Facebook, your name, profile picture, cover photo, gender, networks, username and user id are always publicly available, including to apps. Remember: When you let an app access your public profile, it may also access other information you choose to make public."Settings that were originally on this page that have not moved to the apps settings page include the Public Search setting and the Ads sub-section. They have moved to the privacy settings page and the ads page respectively and are further explained below.
Limit the Audience for Past Posts

This section and setting is now called "Limit the audience for posts I've shared with friends of friends or Public?" and is now in the "Who can see my stuff?" section of the privacy settings page. While the language has been updated, the setting still behaves the same way as before.
Block People and section

This section is now on the blocking page of account settings.
The privacy of your next post is currently set to

This setting is now called "Who can see your future posts?" and it has moved to the "Who can see my stuff?" section of your privacy settings page. While the language has been updated, the setting still behaves the same way as before. Just click "Edit" and adjust the audience selector to set the audience for your future posts.This is the same setting you find right where you post, and changing it there will also update it on your privacy settings page. It remembers your selection, so future posts will be shared with the same audience unless you change it. Note: You can also access this setting in your privacy shortcuts, where it is called "Who can see my future posts?"
Who can look you up using the email address or phone number you provided?

This setting has moved from the old "How You Connect" section to the "Who can look me up?" section of the privacy settings. A note has also been added to remind you that this setting doesn't apply to email addresses or phone numbers you've already shared with someone on Facebook.
Who can look up your timeline by name?

Most people on Facebook no longer have this old setting. For those people who still have the setting, it is now being retired.Over time, this setting became less effective as there are now more ways to get to your timeline, such as photo tags or other kinds of searches. Instead, this setting is being replaced with new tools for controlling who can see your stuff, along with education about how best to use those tools.
Timeline Review

This setting has moved from the old "Timeline and Tagging" section of the privacy setting page to the "Who can add things to my timeline?" section of the timeline and tagging page. The description of the setting has been clarified so it now reads: "Timeline Review controls whether you have to manually approve posts you're tagged in before they go on your timeline. When you have a post to review, just click Timeline Review on the left hand side of your Activity Log. Note: This only controls what's allowed on your timeline. Posts you're tagged in still appear in search, news feed and other places on Facebook. "Note: You can also access this setting by clicking settings gear at the top of Timeline Review in your Activity Log.
Review tags people add to your own posts on Facebook

This setting is now called "Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?" and it has moved from the old "Timeline and Tagging" section of the privacy settings page to the "How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?" section of the timeline and tagging page. While the language has been updated, the setting still behaves the same way as before.
Apps you use

This setting has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section of the privacy settings page to the apps settings page. A note has also been added to the description under "If you turn off Platform apps:" to remind you that "Apps you've previously installed may still have info you shared. Please contact these apps for details on removing this data."
Old versions of Facebook for Mobile

This setting has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section of the privacy settings page to the apps settings page.
How people bring your info to apps they use

This setting is now called "Apps others use" and it has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section of the privacy settings page to the apps settings page. While the language has been updated, the setting still behaves the same way as before.
Instant Personalization

This setting has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section of the privacy settings page to the apps settings page.
Public Search

This setting is now called "Do you want other search engines to link to your timeline?" and it has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section to the "Who can look me up?" section of the privacy settings page. While the language has been updated, the setting still behaves the same way as before. The description of the setting has also been clarified so it now reads: "When this setting is on, it makes it easier for other search engines to link to your timeline in search results. If you turn off this setting, it may take awhile for search engines to stop showing the link to your timeline in their results."
Ads sub-section

This section has moved from the old "Ads, Apps and Websites" section of the privacy settings page to the ads page, where it's even easier to find.
Who can see your full friend list on your timeline?

This setting can still be found by clicking the "Edit" button at the top of your friends list on your timeline. The setting is now called "Who can see your friend list on your timeline" and the description of the setting has been clarified so it now reads: "Remember: People can always see mutual friends and your friends also control who can see their friendships on their own timelines. If people can see your friendship on another timeline, they'll also be able to see it in news feed, search and other places on Facebook."
Who can see the people and lists you subscribe to (follow) on your timeline

This setting can still be found by clicking the "Edit" button at the top of your subscription (following) list on your timeline. The setting is now called "Who can see the people, pages and lists you subscribe to (follow)" and a note has been added to remind you that "the pages and people you subscribe to (follow) can see that you're a subscriber (following them)."