Vaas happy to sit back and support Sri Lanka in showpiece

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2729812473.jpg

Mumbai: Chaminda Vaas, the hero of Sri Lanka's 1996 World Cup triumph, would have loved to get another chance to play in a final.

Unfortunately for him, the Sri Lankan team management decided against it despite flying him out to Mumbai.

Although he was not part of the playing XI, he received huge applause when fans caught a glimpse of him.

His left-arm pace had destroyed India many times.

"I have no regrets of not playing in the final. I am proud of my colleagues who have done so well," Vaas said.

Had Vaas played, it would have been his second final in a row.

Despite some good performances in domestic cricket, he failed to earn a place for this World Cup.

Hard work

"I have worked hard for the last two years and wanted to play in the World Cup again before announcing my retirement. Maybe I have no place in the team with all the others doing so well," he said.

Vaas is a bowler rich in experience and is the third highest wicket taker in One-Day cricket, with 400 scalps. "Whether I am picked or not is not the question; it is the result which matters," he said.

Had he watched some of the matches?

"It was indeed a great event and what made it interesting was that all teams were different and unpredictable," he said.

Vaas went on to praise Muttiah Muralitharan, together with whom he has wrecked many teams.

"Muralitharan is a legend. He has shown what a great bowler he is in all formats of the game.

"His consistent performance is something which we need to applaud. We will all miss him," said Vaas, who may also call it a day soon since he has failed to realise his dream of playing in another World Cup.

The pacer also expressed delight at the final being an all-Asian event.

"The World Cup has turned out to be special for the people from the sub-continent with India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka playing great cricket, he said.

"Surely this has been very enjoyable for all fans from the sub-continent."

He seemed to enjoying every moment of his presence in Mumbai.

[/img][/COLOR]