Umpire Baxter retires from international cricket

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
New Zealand umpire Gary Baxter has announced his retirement from international cricket. According to a report in stuff.co.nz, Baxter, 62, will officiate in domestic cricket for another year, before assessing his future there.

"At my age, I'm never going to get on the [ICC] elite panel now," Baxter said. "I had a good stint, I thought the one-dayer I did in Hamilton between New Zealand and India in January was going to be my last. I mentioned it to [fellow umpire] Rod Tucker and, unbeknown to me, he organised for the New Zealand guys to sign a jersey for me which was really nice."

Baxter stood in 38 ODIs, since 2005, and 16 Twenty20s. That he did not get to umpire in a Test, Baxter said, was "disappointing". "I'm realistic, but it is still a bit disappointing. We had guys like Billy [Bowden] and Tony [Hill] on the elite panel so it was always going to be tough.

"I would have liked to stand in a Test, I thought I was good enough, but a country the size of New Zealand was always unlikely to get three [on the elite panel]."