Tiger Woods tries out Twitter, flooded with nasty message

Coming out of the shadows, Tiger Woods, the ace golfer disgraced by allegations about his private life last year, started tweeting on Wednesday, using the Twitter account he set up over a year ago. He was faced with hundreds of messages making disparaging remarks about his private life.

"What's up everyone. Finally decided to try out twitter!", he tweeted. The message was retweeted by famous blogger Perez Hilton. Within an hour, Woods had picked up more than 30,000 followers and was adding more than 200 followers a minute, the Guardian reported.

The world's second-ranked golfer seemed surprised by the response and by the scepticism created by his initial tweet: "Yep, it's me. I think I like this twitter thing. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the love," he wrote.

The Twitter account was launched in June; the handle — @TigerWoods — had been reserved about a year before that. The previous three tweets were to announce a new twitter page, website design and Facebook page.

On Wednesday, Twitter was abuzz with jokes at his expense.

@AskAaronLee wrote: "Good news @TigerWoods decided to join twitter :) ...i wonder how many women he will s**w from twitter."

@allisonrhone tweeted: "OMG! A whole new method of securing a** has opened for him! #congrats RT @PerezHilton:Tiger Woods is on Twitter now and Tweeting.@ TigerWoods"

Many in Twitterverse speculated it would not be long before Woods decided to close his account given the amount of abuse he was receiving.

Woods, who recently lost his world number one ranking to Britain's Lee Westwood as he continues to struggle to regain the form which saw him dominate golf for 10years, is to make his next public appearance at a golf tournament near Los Angeles in December. There is speculation is that with the first anniversary of his infamous car crash around the corner, and his public image still suffering from the fallout, he is aware that he needs to reverse the trend – if not for his soul, then at least for his marketability, the Guardian said.