Sikh name?change it for "Immigration Canada"

nav-3

jime tutia ambar ton tara
An Immigration Canada letter that said people with the common Sikh surnames Singh or Kaur have to change their last names before coming to Canada was "poorly worded" and is not government policy, a spokeswoman from the department says.

"Permanent resident applicants with the surnames Singh or Kaur are not required to change their names in order to apply,"

Singh and Kaur are common names in the Sikh community. In a tradition that began more than 300 years ago, the name Singh is given to every baptized male and Kaur to every baptized female Sikh. There are millions of Singhs and Kaurs around the world.

:n :n :n

ki eh jaruri hai ???????

apne views deyo
hope u all have somethin to say about it

kudi_patole_wargi

Ki Zor Gareeba Da
main v aaj hi news ch suneya...well sare punjabiya de naam naal singh n kaur ta lagda hi hai...but they want them to add their last name too..ta ki ohna li thoda easy ho jave but acc to me je loki last name add kar v lain ge..wut diff is it gonna make..kine loka de last name v ta same hunde aa...well i think its all BS:n

Konvicted_Jatt

S@RP@NCH
jad passport te foto laggi hundi hai taan ohna nu dikhda nahi k kaun hai.... te given name v likhia hunda eh taan bas awein hee pange pa rahe ne....
te aapa nu kee aapa kehra canada jana...:>haha

kudi_patole_wargi

Ki Zor Gareeba Da
picture ta hundi aa ronny but oh kehnda data ch pehla last name save karna hunda aa..so singh n kaur naal prob hundi aa..aivi wadhu de kam smirk
aho te tenu canada varan kihne dena aa:roll

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
don't think ke ehe punjabityaan nu rokan ya degrade karn vaaste policy banai hougi....
its just to make it easier to differentiate between 2 persons with same names.
ehe india wangu father's name taan baahla use karde ni, te esse lai problem taan ehna nu create hundi hi hougi, jad kinne hi jaane ikko naam aale ho jaande honge.
so its just to make things easier n make it more comfortable for the public.
i don't think this is as such any serious issue or religious issue. :kin

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Oye anpad loko uppar likheya ke jihna de naam Singh/Kaur ne uhna de surname change karvane government di policy nahi hegi.

applicants nu apna naam change karn di koi lod nahi ( jidha ke mostly lok karde ne )

durr fitte muhn tuhadde.

Johal

ChArDi KaLaN
A Sikh-Canadian group is slamming the long-standing immigration policy that forces people with the surname Singh or Kaur to change their last names.
Jasbeer Singh, of the World Sikh Organization, said the policy is incredibly out of synch in this day and age.

Immigration Canada sent a letter to Jaspal Singh stating \Immigration Canada sent a letter to Jaspal Singh stating "the names Kaur and Singh do not qualify for the purpose of immigration to Canada."

(Click here for a larger, PDF version.http://www.cbc.ca/news/pdf/singhletter5.pdf)

"The reason we should be concerned is this is a very sneaky attack on our individual rights and freedoms and persona," Singh said. "Today they are challenging or don't like Singh or Kaur. Tomorrow they will not like Mohammed. And how soon will it be before they are asking all Browns and Smiths to change their names?"

The policy came to light after a Calgary woman waiting for her husband to arrive in Canada learned her husband's application to become a permanent resident has been delayed for well over a month because of his last name.

The Citizenship and Immigration department says the policy to ask people to provide a third name has been around for 10 years. It's used only in the New Delhi visa office and does not apply to any other last names.

Karen Shadd-Evelyn, a spokeswoman with Citizenship and Immigration Canada, said the reason for the policy is that it helps officials with the paperwork and allows them to identify people's files quickly, efficiently and accurately.

"You can imagine you wouldn't want your file to be confused with someone else's," she said.

Singh and Kaur are common names in the Sikh community. In a tradition that began more than 300 years ago, the name Singh is given to every baptized male and Kaur to every baptized female Sikh. There are millions of Singhs and Kaurs around the world.

Shadd-Evelyn said that while the department recognizes the tradition of having the names Singh and Kaur, it's their understanding that it is already a common practice for people in the Sikh community to have a third name.

"Generally, when we ask for that, they are accustomed to that and are used to providing a third name," she said. "They have it. It's not something that they're just making up on the spot."

Immigration lawyer Peter Wong said the policy is enforced only some of time. None of his clients has ever officially complained, he said.

"Most people don't find it worthwhile to do and are, quite frankly, scared that they're going to be hurting their immigration applications for their loved ones."

- CBC News

News Source: CBC.CA - Canada's News, Money, Sports, Health, Technology & Science, Consumer Life, Arts, and Kids Information Source

reshmi_mutiyar

LITTLE KITTEN
:n :n :n
ki eh jaruri hai ???????

apne views deyo
hope u all have somethin to say about it
nice post,, thnx 4 the info,,

an estimated 41 million punjabies on earth, 28 million in punjab,, 5 million in rest of india, approx. 8 million abroad,,, BUT HOW MANY OF THOSE ARE SINGH's & KAUR's,,,,,no 1 knows,

this info was taken form UK .. AJIT,,, HOW TRUE IS IT ??PARMATMA HI JAANE

adh

RABB RAAKHA
JANAAB SINGH TE KAUR TAAN NAAM PICHE TAAN LAGNAA HI HAI BHAANVE GORMENT KAHE BHAANVE KOI HOR ,GOVT NU TAAN BAS HATH LAGAN WAALE AA PUNJABIAAN DE :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol :pbbol

Da Tiwana

Inspector Sa'ab ;)
i dunno why such big a fuss?
did anyone say that people should remove singh or kaur?
they just want people to keep singh or kaur as middle name and add up last name.
so what is wrong in that? >du

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong with that, A rough guess i think there are atleast 100,000 Simran Kaur's in Canada ( I personally Know 150 ) Imagine how confusing it will be without surnames.

Johal

ChArDi KaLaN
i have posted b4r. it has PDF of letter

everybody should hav to endorsed surnames after their names to make process fast n easy to recognise data.

Johal

ChArDi KaLaN
Now, Canada okay with Singhs, Kaurs
Toronto, July 27
Reversing a standing policy, Canada’s Immigration Department has stated that “permanent resident applicants” with common Sikh surnames Singh and Kaur are not required to change them.
Immigrants with the two surnames were earlier needed to change them, leading to delay in their arrival in the country.
“It has been brought to my attention that a letter was sent to an applicant (in India) telling him that unless he provided an additional surname in addition to other documentation, his application for permanent residence may not be processed,” minister of citizenship and immigration Diane Finley said in a statement.
“This letter does not reflect the policy of Canada’s government, and I can assure you I have directed the department to ensure that this type of erroneous letter is not sent out again,” she said.
The controversy erupted after an Indian, Tarvinder Kaur, who is pregnant, said her husband Jaspal Singh’s application to become a permanent resident had been delayed because of his last name. The Canadian High Commission in India had sent a letter to Singh’s family. Terming it to be “poorly worded”, an immigration official here said, “Permanent resident applicants with the surnames Singh or Kaur are not required to change their names in order to apply. In no way did CIC intend to ask applicants to change their names,” a spokeswoman with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Karen Shadd-Evelyn, said yesterday. — PTI

Source
The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - World