Sikh Folk Stories

J@tti

..Majajan..
Guru Nanak and Sajjan Rogue
bar1-1.gif

On one of his journeys, Guru Nanak Dev ji met a Rogue named Sajjan. Sajjan always wore a white dress, displayed his rosary and thus posed to be a holyman. He had built a Hindu temple and a Muslim mosque at the courtyard of his residence. He would invite wayfarers to his residence to rest for the night. But at night, he would take away their goods and money and would kill them. He had a well near his house where he would dump the bodies of the guest he killed.

The Guru went and stayed with him for the night. At night the Guru did not go to bed, which made Sajjan nervous to perform his nefarious act of robbing. Sajjan asked the Guru to take rest and sleep but Guru ji replied,"God's minstrel does not go to sleep, till God sends word that he should retire."
sajjan-1.jpg
The Guru then asked Mardana to play the rebec and he sang, “Houses, mansions, palaces painted on all sides, are left hollow within when thy breath stops. You posses wealth and assets, nothing shall go along with you but the sins you commit. You call yourself clever and smart, but you are unaware that in a moment you shall die. You have not remembered the name of Lord, and are completely drenched in money. You have not loved the one who gave you the body and wealth. And when the death comes you shall tremble helplessly. Have you sung the praises of Lord; He would have been your support and the time of your death.”

When Sajjan listened the Divine melody, he realized that Guru ji’s words were actually addressed to him. Upon this he made his obeisance and fell at the Guru ji’s feet, and prayed to him to pardon his sins. Guru ji said, "Sajjan, in the Sovereignty of God, grace is obtained by two things, open confession and reparation for wrong." Sajjan stood in submission. Guru Nanak Dev ji asked him to give all his ill-gotten wealth to the poor. He obeyed the mandate and became a follower of the Guru.

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
Hari Singh Nalua & the Pathan Princes

Sikh General Hari Singh Nalua, was famous for his bravery and battle strategies. He was the only one in history who could rule over Kabul (Afghanistan) after defeating the Pathans. One Afghan princes got so enamored by his bravery that she some how succeeded in organizing a secret meeting with the General Hari Singh Nalua. On meeting him face to face she expressed her desire to marry him but the Sikh General refused the proposal by telling her that he is already married and as per his Guru’s commandments a Sikh cannot marry two women at the same time. After the refusal of her proposal the princes took a promise from the Sikh General that if he cannot marry her then he must not say no to her second proposal. When the general gave her his promise not to disappoint her the second time, then she asked him that she wants to have a brave son like him. The Sikh General thought for a moment and then fulfilled his promise and said “if you want a son like me then from now onwards I am your son” and he touched her feet pronouncing her his mother. This is an unparallel historical example of the character of a Sikh General not too easily found elsewhere in the history of the world.

full_taur

SGGS forbid sikhs to believe in Miracles, these stories may just be folklore.

Precisely.

Either nothing is a miracle or everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein -

For some these are just stories, but for others these are Guru's sakhi's. and what these means is that if you meditate on lord and come closer to God, then you can attain anything.

Well things do happen, I thnk it was two years ago, wherein there was a news of flood in Ambala. The water was everywhere in Ambala and even in houses, streets and Guruduwara too. Everything was in water and the people staying there left the houses & all to go to safe place. People have to be air lifted & all, but somehow they saw that Guru Granth Sahib ji was floating in water whereas everything else was drowned. IS it any short of miracle? Could be?

Sant often say very good thing and that is

JITHE SHARDA HUNDI HAI, UTHE KADI SHANKA NAI HUNDI, JITHE SHANKA HOVE, UTHE KADI SHARDA NAI HO SAKDI

Ramta

-

Guru Nanak is walking on the road. A fly sits on his head, and he goes
on talking with Mardan, his disciple, and mechanically moves his hand
and the fly goes away. Then he stops, suddenly--because he has done
that movement of the hand without awareness. And to him that is the
only wrong thing in life--to do anything without awareness, even moving
your hand, although you have not harmed anybody.

So he stands and again takes his hand through the same posture of waving
away the fly--although there is no fly any more. Mardana is just surprised
at what he is doing, and he says, "The fly you have brushed away from
your face long before. What are you doing now? There is no fly."

Nanak said, "...that last time I had moved my hand just mechanically,
like a robot. It was a mistake. Now I am doing it as I should have done,
just to teach me a lesson so that never again anything like this happens.
Now I am moving my hand with full awareness. The fly is not the point.
The point is, whether in my hand there is awareness and grace and love
and compassion, or not. Now it is right. It should have been this way."

Thanks

-

dhana_jatt

~*~ NiMaNa ~*~
-
Nanak said, "...that last time I had moved my hand just mechanically,
like a robot. It was a mistake. Now I am doing it as I should have done,
just to teach me a lesson so that never again anything like this happens.
Now I am moving my hand with full awareness. The fly is not the point.
The point is, whether in my hand there is awareness and grace and love
and compassion, or not. Now it is right. It should have been this way."

Thanks

-
oh guru ji de time te robot v c .. i never knew..

Thanks