Replica Of Tajmahal In Bangladesh!

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA

A replica of the Indian landmark Taj Mahal is seen under construction at Narayanganj district, some 30 kilometers northeast of Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh, Dec. 9, 2008. A Bangladeshi film-maker built a replica of the Taj Mahal inspired by neighbouring India's famous monument. (Xinhua/Qamruzzaman)

A replica of Taj Mahal which is still under construction opened to the public Tuesday in Bangladesh's Narayanganj district,
about 30 km southeast of capital Dhaka.

Ahsan Ulla Moni, owner of the replica, said he was inspired by Taj Mahal in India when he first visited there in 1980 and had the idea to build one in Bangladesh.

"This is the second Taj Mahal in the world. I am really proud of that," he said.

The designer of the replica is Manik Mia. He is a Bangladeshi architect.

Moni said almost all the materials used in building the replica were imported.

He said the project started in March 2003, and was supposed to finish in March 2009. "We will officially inaugurate the Taj Mahal replica in the Liberation Day on March 26, 2009."

Moni is a businessman, which business covers film producing, cinema and hotel.

Moni invested 4 billion taka (about 57 million U.S. dollars) to build a film city in his hometown in Narayanganj, covering an area of 50 acres (about 20 hectares). Replica of Taj Mahal, which covers an area of 4 acres (about 1.6 hectares), is part of it.

"I plan to shoot a film about the story of Taj Mahal. So I build the replica of Taj Mahal," he said.

"I also hope the landmark construction can attract more tourists from home and abroad," he added.

Taj Mahal replica attracted a lot of people on the first day of opening. Though it is still under construction, people visited it with great interest.

Moni said people can buy ticket with 50 taka (about 71 cents) to visit the place.

The replica of Taj Mahal is the same size with the original one in India. "It will look wonderful after it completes," Moni said.

MORE IMAGES ::

prithvi.k

on off on off......
this one 58$ million and the other one is priceless...i saw a small report on this @ newchannel ,They interview Moni the person behind this he said "Everyone dreams about seeing the Taj Mahal but very few Bangladeshis can make the trip because it's too expensive for them,"
He said he hoped his version, located 30 km (18 miles) northeast of the capital Dhaka, would prove as big a draw to local and foreign visitors as the original.And the media also asked about this frm common bangladeshi ppl,wherz they bangladeshi ppl says they where really upset with this,as they dont have so much income (wherz the daily income of most bangladeshi is 1 $),and he(moni) is wasteing money on this.....

His project attracted interest around the world and even prompted Indian diplomats to question whether Moni had breached copyright laws.
But a report in the Bengali language newspaper Prothom Alo said that visitors who travelled to Sonargaon felt cheated.
"We came to see the Taj Mahal with high hopes but we are greatly disappointed," Dhaka resident Asma Mita said.
"The whole project is done in a shoddy manner. It is nothing compared to the real Taj," another visitor, Sohana Parvin, told the paper. "There is no sign of the valuable stones, tiles and diamonds the owner has spoken of using."
Bloggers, too, have reacted angrily to Moni's replica, which he claims is life-size. Aparna Ray concluded that the hype surrounding the attraction was a gimmick.
"[It's] a money-making scam in the name of the Taj," Ray wrote. "The tiles look like the type you'd use in a bathroom. We've been cheated by this guy," another blogger wrote.
Meanwhile, Moni is slamming visitors who are criticising the structure.