Neil shares his dirty little secrets off-ramp

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2380691898.jpg

Bollywood actor Neil Nitin Mukesh looked dashing in a tuxedo when he hit the ramp on Tuesday for a new fashion boutique, Label 24. But when tabloid! caught up with him backstage, he let us onto one of his quirky secrets. If not for designer Rocky S's gentle cajoling, he would have strutted down the ramp in his favourite go-to attire — boxer shorts.

"My personal style is simple, smart and stylish. But I hate it when guys try too hard when it comes to clothes. For example, I walk around in my boxers in my colony in Mumbai. If I had my way, I would be in Gap boxers all day," says Mukesh.

Much to the dismay of his star-struck fans — mostly girls — his wish did not materialise because he placed full faith in Bollywood's renowned celebrity stylist Rocky S.

"Designers Rocky S, Narendra Kumar Ahmed and Vikram Phadnis are three designers that I look up to and I trust them. They are this holy trinity in fashion for me. They don't try to push a piece of their trendy clothing down my throat and I like it that way. Clothes should complement a person's personality."

Disenchanting

The seven-films-old actor, who made his debut as a lead actor in thriller Johnny Gaddar, finds it equally disenchanting when women become slaves to brands.

"I am not a fan of women who turn up head-to-toe in designer wear. Just because you can afford it, don't slap it on people's faces. There's nothing more alluring than a woman who is simple yet smartly dressed. Being snooty and pompous is another big turn off."

Mukesh doesn't come with the usual starry frills either. Unlike other temperamental Bollywood stars, he is charming, grounded and revels in being recognised. A nod to his fan, a quick smile to a non-Indian who is wondering who he is and obliging to take a photo with an ardent Bollywood buff is all in a day's work for Mukesh.

"I have never understood why celebrities wear caps and disguises to go unnoticed. I mean, what's the big deal? When you are on screen, you bare yourself to the world and those very people watch you in theatres. It doesn't kill you to pose for a picture or sign autographs — you make their day and bring a smile on to their faces."

Sounding more like a saint than a star, he adds it's this quality that propels him to play anti-hero roles. His lean-but-rich roster of films is dominated by roles with grey shades. For instance, in Lafangey Parindey, he runs over his co-star Pinky [Deepika Padukone] blinding her, and in Johnny Gaddar he plays a master manipulator.

"In real life, I am a very friendly person with no hang-ups. Maybe, that's the reason why I take unconventional roles that are completely opposite to my real self. I hate playing myself onscreen because when you play an anti-hero, there are so many shades to explore."

In his next project Players, starring Abhishek Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor and Bipasha Basu, Mukesh is tipped to play a negative role.

The film is an official remake of Hollywood classic The Italian Job.

"If I speak about my role, Mr Abbas Mastan may come running for me. But all I can say is that I play one tough meanie in this. I can't wait to start filming."

On fashionable beauties

In a short span, Neil Nitin Mukesh has managed to romance some of Bollywood's most dazzling divas. tabloid! asked him to rate their style quotient. Calling it a toughie, he seems to have taken the easy way out and opted for the diplomatic route.

Bipasha Basu: Acted together in Aa Dekhe Zara."Bipasha taught me about being fit and healthy."
Deepika Padukone: Acted together in Lafangey Parindey. "Oh, those dimples. She is gifted with those but I am tempted to have surgery to get those."

Priyanka Chopra:
Will be seen together in Saat Khoon Maaf."Her energy level is amazing. I wonder where she gets it all from."

Did you know?

Neil Nitin Mukesh enthralled his fans in Dubai yesterday when he inaugurated the multi-brand store Label 24 in Bur Dubai. Co-owned by model Anupama Verma, the boutique stocks creations from designers, including Rocky S, Pria Kattaria and Rohit Kamra. "Label 24 has on board some very talented fashion friends of mine. I feel proud to be associated with such a store," he said.

A Nature lover

There is a hidden artist in Neil Nitin Mukesh. He loves to paint portraits and considers nature photography his passion. Very soon, he intends to release a coffee table book of his prized photographs. "I love nature and it never ceases to amaze me. Through my photographs I hope to come up with answers about why the mountains are so high and the clouds move so quickly." Do we also see a poet in the making?

[/img][/COLOR]