Dilshan hopes to end winless streak as his side face Pak

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3304258323.jpg
Abu Dhabi: Sri Lanka play their first Test series here in the UAE this week and skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan is hoping his side can reverse an 11-Test winless streak.

Though Sri Lanka beat Pakistan 2-0 when the two met in 2009, the islanders have drawn two Tests and lost nine in their last eleven and Dilshan will be looking to set that record straight.

"This is a good challenge and we have been playing against India, England and Australia and now against Pakistan, which is good for both teams to challenge themselves and do well and play good cricket," Dilshan told a press conference at the Zayed Cricket Stadium ahead of tomorrow's First Test against Pakistan.

Defending the recent winless streak, Dilshan said, "Out of the 11 Test matches we lost only two, one in Cardiff and the other at home to Australia. But we played some good Test matches," he said, hoping that his young bowling attack will have gained enough experience.

"The bowling unit is very young and we have to give them experience and I think they are now getting ready... getting experience, talking to good players and I think they are getting ready to play some good Test cricket."

Conditions

Dilshan and his team had a morning training session yesterday and the Sri Lankan skipper admitted conditions weren't perfect for his team. "It's not easy with this weather, especially since it's too hot and humid, but we have to get used to this weather and play good cricket from tomorrow." Dilshan went on to draw attention to his experienced batsmen.

"It's great to have Mahela [Jayawardene] and Sanga [Kumar Sangakkara] in the team. It's good for the youngsters as these two are experienced batsmen having scored nearly 20,000 Test runs. I think I'm really lucky that these two are in the team and they help the youngsters," said Dilshan, who replaced Sangakkara as the Lankan skipper.

"On this tour we have got a few young players. Dinesh Chandimal [wicketkeeper-batsman] is back in the side. The two openers [Lahiru Thirimanne and Tharanga Paranavitana] are really new and we have to mix up the new fast bowlers with the senior players and build the team for [the] future," Dilshan said.

The two teams are playing in the upcoming Bank Alfalah presents Mobilink Jazz Cup Pakistan versus Sri Lanka Cricket Series.
[/img][/COLOR]