Dell brings hexacore i7 CPUs to their Studio XPS 9100 line-u

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Always quick to follow a new Apple computer with a similarly specced but more cheaply priced alternative of their own, Dell has reacted to the recent hexacore Mac Pro update with a refresh of their Studio XPS 9100 desktop series including Intel’s latest Core i7 processors.
Starting at just $949.99, the cheapest of the new Studio XPS 9100s comes with a 2.66GHz Core i7-920 paired with 3GB of DDR3 memory and NVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB graphics. An extra $470 ill get you a Core i7-960 CPU, and for a grand more, you can get the six-core i7-980x.
Like all Dell machines, though, the customizations don’t end there: you can also boost the memory up to 24GB of DDR3, although prepare to sell a kidney for the pleasure, since it’ll cost you another $1,100. You can also kit your new Studio XPS 9100 with an ATI Radeon graphic card up to the HD 5970 for $580, and storage can be upgraded up to 2TB drives.
These looks like beefy powerhouse machines, if you don’t mind owning a Dell. In fact, the only real weakness we see is there’s no support for USB 3.0… but then again, few desktops are offering support for that standard yet. If you’re interested, the new Studio XPS 9100 machines are available for order now over at Dell’s website.