Chance to see where I stand as captain: Kohli

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
With Mahendra Singh Dhoni ruled out due to a side-strain, Virat Kohli is set to lead the Indian team in the Asia Cup. The stand-in skipper said captaining India in a tournament as big as the upcoming one involving the Asian teams will be both challenging and exciting.

Speaking at the press conference upon his team's arrival, Kohli said leading India in the five-nation tournament gives him an opportunity to see where he stands as an international skipper while adding that he has some big shoes to fill.

"I have captained in only about eight games, and things have been pretty good thus far [India won seven of those matches]," said Kohli when told about his high success rate as captain.

"But the Asia Cup is my first big tournament as captain. It excites me to have a young group that I can have a chat with, and it gives me a chance to test where I stand as an International captain," he added.

"I don't think I need to change too much about the way I approach the game," said Kohli, when asked captaincy would have an impact on his batting.

Kohli was asked if he would feel the same kind of pressure that Dhoni has experienced as skipper over the years, to which he replied: "I don't think this is anything compared to what he [Dhoni] has gone through in the past few years. It's a completely different thing if you're regularly captaining the side and taking so much criticism. I am not in a position to experience all that now because I have got this one off opportunity as was the case in the past."

India will miss Dhoni, who is one of the best finishers of the game. While acknowledging that the regular skipper's absence makes a big difference, Kohli is confident that the others in the side can make use of the opportunity to prove themselves.

"We have been very consistent in the One-Day format, and one big reason has been his consistency and captaincy. His not being there is a big change, but I am sure guys like Dinesh Karthik will make the most of the opportunity."

Kohli admitted that India had a poor tour of New Zealand but was confident that his side can turn things around. "We didn't have a great tour to New Zealand, but like how you have a bad series after a few good series, you can change it around in this case as well. One good performance and the momentum is with you."