'Bill was stupid to go along with Monica'

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
may 15 2008

LONDON: Former US President Bill Clinton was "bloody stupid" to go along with White House intern Monica Lewinsky, the wife of ex-British PM Tony Blair has said.

While Cherie Blair said she understood what would have turned Monica on, she identified the role played by Clintons' daughter Chelsea as a major one in keeping her parents together. "In January 1998, the Monica Lewinsky scandal finally broke and my heart bled for Hillary, coming on top, as it did, of the Paula Jones sexual harassment suit," Cherie said in her memoir 'Speaking for Myself', the excerpts of which were published in The Times.

Offering some justification for Lewinksy's feelings, Blair's wife wrote: "From the young woman's point of view, I can quite see how it happened. Bill Clinton is a tremendously charismatic man who is able to mesmerise anybody he meets and give them the feeling that he is totally interested in them and what they are saying, which is clearly not always the case." However, "as for him, I thought he was bloody stupid," Cherie said, adding she was "doubly impressed" by Hillary's conduct after the story broke out.