The Suicide Song

MAVERICK

The song "Gloomy Sunday" was once banned because of its connection with many suicides.

Gloomy Sunday" is a sort of meta-legend that encompasses the following claims:

1. The song "Gloomy Sunday" was connected to many suicides in Hungary and was banned in Hungary because of its connection to many suicides.

2. The song was banned in America because of its connection to many suicides.

3. The composer wrote the song for a former girlfriend, who committed suicide shortly after the song's release.

4. The composer himself committed suicide.

A little background for those not familiar : "Gloomy Sunday" was written in 1933 by two Hungarians: Rezso Seress (music) and Laszlo Javor (lyrics). The song supposedly drew little (adverse) attention until 1936, when it began to be connected with a rash of suicides in Hungary and was allegedly banned there. American musicians and singers soon jumped at the chance to record instrumental and translated versions of the "Hungarian suicide song," and by the end of 1936 several recordings were available to American audiences. The Billie Holiday version, recorded several years later, was probably the most popular English-language version of "Gloomy Sunday." The English lyrics (which reportedly don't do justice to the original Hungarian) go something like this:

Sunday is gloomy, my hours are slumberless.
Dearest, the shadows I live with are numberless.
Little white flowers will never awaken you,
Not where the black coach of sorrow has taken you.
Angels have no thought of ever returning you.
Would they be angry if I thought of joining you?
Gloomy Sunday.

Gloomy is Sunday; with shadows I spend it all.
My heart and I have decided to end it all.
Soon there'll be candles and prayers that are sad, I know.
Death is no dream, for in death I'm caressing you.
With the last breath of my soul I'll be blessing you.
Gloomy Sunday.

SehaJ

Troublemaker
Bhabhi pehli vari ta aah Panjaban de gal te menu hassa aya :smirk

Tusi ghabrayo na......:an