The day Pak flag was nicked

chief

Prime VIP
Undeclared trans-LoC operations have been carried out by our Army in J&K for years now for ‘retribution’. However, such ventures are invariably not undertaken at the international border, where the sanctity is sacrosanct, unless there is a provocation. One such situation did arise 15 years ago in the Gurdaspur-Amritsar sector during Operation Parakaram.

The Sutlej flowing along the border, meanders into Pakistan and back into Indian territory, creating pockets in each other’s territory. At one such enclave, Pakistan had raised a bundh for an observation post. A provocateur had hoisted their flag, bang on the international border. The first thing I noticed while alighting from the vehicle was the flag. I looked at the flag and at the commanding officer (CO) of the Sikh Light Infantry Battalion deployed there. They had erected it the previous night, he told me. The flag could not be hoisted on the border. The adversary was perhaps trying to gain the upper hand. However, our jawans appeared unperturbed as I discussed with the CO about the ways to remove it. The jawans went about their chores unconcerned about the turmoil in our minds. It occurred to me that battles are won or lost in the minds of commanders.

It was already dusk, so we decided to wait for the next day to ask them to remove their flag. I wanted to avoid confrontation. The next day, much before daybreak, the CO called me up rather unusually before the scheduled time of giving the situation report, or the morning prayers as it is referred to. ‘The flag has been removed, Sir,’ he enthusiastically declared, ‘one of our jawans did it!’ I asked whether any orders were given to do so. ‘No, Sir,’ he replied, ‘the jawan did it on his own, and now the flag and the pole are with us.’ In the darkness of the night, the jawan had crawled up to the flag, uprooted the pole and crawled back. The noise of his movement had perhaps got drowned in the sound of the Sutlej. It was a clear breach of military discipline, but I was elated on this display of dare devilry, and unwittingly told the CO not to be harsh on the jawan.

The situation reports made no mention of the erection or removal of the flag, but the incident was reported verbally and accurately up the channel. Commanders at all levels were apprised and knew about the happening that had otherwise gone unreported in any written form.

The place that needs your presence must be visited, I thought to myself as I drove to the Sikh LI Battalion. The place where the flag had fluttered looked humbled. The jawan was presented before me. He stood at savdhan. Obviously, he could not have accomplished his mission without the tacit approval of his post commander, at the least. Notwithstanding that, I placed my hand on his shoulder and said: ‘Shabash, but in future, take approval before such a task.’ That he was rewarded with a promotion is another story. The occasion turned into mirth and fun over tea and pakoras that followed. As the elderly Subedar Major displayed the flag and the pole, I asked him what they would do with it. He thought for a moment, then uttered: ‘Sir, jhanda tan unhanda hai, par danda tan jisde hath vich hove, usida hunda hai (The flag is theirs, but the pole belongs to the one who holds it).’

-- Brig Jagbir Singh Grewal (retd)

:in :pk

kit walker

VIP
Staff member
Nice Share. That reminds me a recent story of a Jawan removing a Paki flag atop highest mobile tower in town of kasmiri boy killed in encounter recently. After which the whole kasmir boiled and is still under partial curfew.