Tears !!

Mandeep Kaur Guraya

MAIN JATTI PUNJAB DI ..
Another Story...credit to someone who shared it on net :an

She happily bounced along as I stepped into the temple with my husband. As we went around offering prayers to each deity in the temple she too recited all the prayers she knew. We sat in front of the majestic 18 foot tall idol of Lord and she looked on mesmerized by rituals that were being performed by the priests chanting mantras in their clear loud voices. The holy bath began and the lovely form of the Lord was bathed in milk. She looked on with dismay; I chided her for doing so.

The milk flowed down the dark gigantic body of the Lord and reached the floor forming a pool at the Lord’s foot. This was followed by curd, tender coconut water, honey, turmeric, and sandal.

By now she was looking on undisguised anger, contempt and disgust. I could hear her voice loud and clear “WHY LORD WHY? Why do you need to bathe in milk and curd and honey?? All of it being flushed out with gushing water! Haven’t you seen the kids in Somalia or war-torn countries! Why even in India people are dying because of want of food, and you see it fitting to be bathed in milk!!” I tried to prevail upon her, stop her from uttering one more word, but she was not ready to be quietened this time.

“Aren’t you the omnipotent? Don’t you feel their pains? Why this colossal waste? Are you even able to hear me or is it just a huge stone statue in front of my eyes!” I was horrified beyond words.

She softened a little and pleaded with tears stinging her eyes “if you are the ruler of the universe, if you are the creator of all living beings, then make all this that has had the blessing to caress your beautiful form to multiply in millions and reach the weakest of your children!!” I could hold back no longer and let her tears flow down my cheeks!