Sea Lily

MAVERICK

######

The humble sea lily (Endoxocrinus parrae) is an ocean animal closely related to the starfish, sea cucumber and sea urchin. With a ring of feathery fingers and a stalk 50 centimeters long, it resembles an ocean garden flower. And it has a sophisticated method for avoiding danger as caught in the video after the jump which shows a sea lily crawling slowly across the ocean floor on its fingers, dragging its broken stem behind it.

seaCreature2-1.gif

Other footage and photographs captured suggest that the sea lily makes its ocean floor dash to escape the attentions of sea urchins, which have been seen lurking on the sea bed behind the traveling sea lilies – "It's the lizard's tail strategy," Baumiller says. "The sea lily just leaves the stalk end behind. The sea urchin is preoccupied going after that, and the sea lily crawls away."

Queensaj

Elite
ah it moves! :o lol. i thought it was like water lily.. maybe not, then i read "ANIMAL"..

never seen anything resembling it before, thanks for adding to my limited knowledge :p

MAVERICK

ah it moves! :o lol. i thought it was like water lily.. maybe not, then i read "ANIMAL"..

never seen anything resembling it before, thanks for adding to my limited knowledge :p

no problems sam....i know u ll repay me for the knowledge..:p