Rubjerg Knude Hidden Lighthouse -Denmark
Rubjerg Knude Lighthouse in Jutland Denmark started life on December 27, 1900 (construction started in 1899). The lighthouse is on the top of Lønstrup Klint (cliff), 60 meters above sea level. Until 1908 it operated on gas which it produced from a gasworks on the site.
It ceased to operate on August 1, 1968.
The lighthouse was consumed by the moving sand masses of a gigantic dune during the last 15 years. Up to the late 90s the lighthouse was a working one with a museum and a tea house attached. Nowadays there is only a ruin left of the once nice and impressive lighthouse.
Shifting sands and coastal erosion led to the buildings being abandoned in 2002.