Learn a new word, every day

J@tti

..Majajan..
innocuous \ih-NOK-yoo-uhs\, adjective:

1. Harmless; producing no ill effect.
2. Not likely to offend or provoke; as, "an innocuous remark."

Sentence:

Maybe Grandpop misunderstood that perfectly innocuous remark and thought the man said "smell."

Niki_Grewal

!*~PrInCe$$~*!
Yeah, that's why I thought of starting a thread instead.
a great idea indeed.....well i don't know how many members will learn a new word by this...but u gonna read n learn them on a regular basis..as u will hv the responsibilty to post a new word everyday.....sharing is always the best learning pocedure....dimag hai iss larki mein:kin...lol....i mean jatti mein :D...i ll try to be regular as well :an

J@tti

..Majajan..
a great idea indeed.....well i don't know how many members will learn a new word by this...but u gonna read n learn them on a regular basis..as u will hv the responsibilty to post a new word everyday.....sharing is always the best learning pocedure....dimag hai iss larki mein:kin...lol....i mean jatti mein :D...i ll try to be regular as well :an

yeah, I will read for sure :gig .. and so will you :an

J@tti

..Majajan..
scuttlebutt \SKUHT-l-buht\, noun:
1. A drinking fountain on a ship.
2. A cask on a ship that contains the day's supply of drinking water.
3. Gossip; rumor.

Sentence:-
It was written in the optimistic belief that open debate beats backroom scuttlebutt.

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
well thanx for dis trhread..

my request to other members is k is thread ch apan chat kat kariye so dat we are able to find out da words easily .. thanx .. and me apprecaite ur efforts ae jatti

nescience \NESH-uhn(t)s; NESH-ee-uhn(t)s\, noun:
Lack

Pronunciation:

'neshuns

of knowledge or awareness Ignorance (especially of orthodox beliefs).; ignorance.

The ancients understood that too much knowledge could actually impede human functioning -- this at a time when the encroachments on global nescience were comparatively few

God fetched it about for me, in that absence and
nescience of mine.

Synonyms: Nescience
Synonyms: ignorantness (n), unknowing (n), unknowingness

exculpate \EK-skuhl-payt; ek-SKUHL-payt\, transitive verb:
Pronunciation:

'ekskul`peyt

To clear from alleged fault or guilt; to prove to be guiltless; to relieve of blame; to acquit.
Each member is determined to exculpate himself, to lay the blame elsewhere.
Pronounce not guilty of criminal charges; "The suspect was cleared of the murder charges".
The pilot of the aircraft will surely be exculpated when all the facts are known.

Date "exculpate" was first used in popular English literature: sometime before 1321.

At the same time, they said, representatives of the inspector general's office at the CIA were generally protective of the intelligence agents involved in the matter, highlighting evidence that seemed to exculpate them

Synonyms:

acquit, assoil, clear, discharge, exonerate

cursory \KUR-suh-ree\, adjective:
Hastily or superficially performed.

Pronunciation
kuhr sE ri

Definition1.

done quickly and without care; superficial.

Synonyms

perfunctory (1) , hasty (1,2) , superficial (4)

In a time when most college coeds had strict curfews, Bennington students had none, and only a cursory morning check to make sure that we were alive and in our beds.

When she handed me the tickets, I took a cursory look at them to see if all was in order.

On most days, however, she confined her daily reading to a cursory scan of two or three newspapers.
quick and probably not detailed:
- a cursory glance/look
- a cursory examination
Hasty and withoutattention to detail; not thorough
"a cursory inspectionfailed to reveal the house's structuralflaws"

mordant \MOR-d'nt\, adjective:
Biting; caustic; sarcastic.

Pronunciation: 'mor-d&nt
Mr. Justice Moorcroft's forte, a part which he had played for so many years that it had become instinctive, was a courteous reasonableness occasionally enlivened with shafts of mordant wit
I moved from one knot of people to another, surrounded by a kind of envious respect because of Sophie's interest in me, although subjected to a certain mordant raillery from some of this witty company
He had a mordant wit as well . . . , a bit wicked and waspish even
    1. Bitingly sarcastic: mordant satire.
    2. Incisive and trenchant: an inquisitor's mordant questioning.
  1. Bitingly painful.
  2. Serving to fix colors in dyeing.
Noun: mordant mord(u)nt
1. A substance used to treat leather or other materials before dyeing; aids in dyeing process
Adjective: mordant mord(u)nt
1. Harshly ironic or sinister
"fun ranging from slapstick clowning ... to savage mordant wit"
- black, grim

2. Of a substance, especially a strong acid; capable of destroying or eating away by chemical action
- caustic, corrosive, erosive, vitriolic

Word of the Day for Monday July 24, 2006

limn \LIM
Pronunciation:

lim

\, transitive verb:

1. To depict by drawing or painting.
2. To portray in words; to describe.

Oh, yes, I write, as I limn the familiar perfections of his profile, "you look very well."

In telling these people's stories Mr. Butler draws upon the same gifts of empathy and insight, the same ability to limn an entire life in a couple of pages.

But used faithfully and correctly, language can "limn the actual, imagined and possible lives of its speakers, readers, writers."

1. To describe.
  2. To depict by painting or drawing. See Synonyms at
  3. make a portrait of; "Goya wanted to portray his mistress, the Duchess of Alba"
  4. [v] trace the shape of

Synonyms:

delineate, depict, outline, portray

Word of the Day for Tuesday July 25, 2006

plebeian \plih-BEE-uhn\, adjective:
Pronunciation:

plu'beeun

1. Of or pertaining to the Roman plebs, or common people.
2. Of or pertaining to the common people.
3. Vulgar; common; crude or coarse in nature or manner.

noun:
1. One of the plebs, or common people of ancient Rome; opposed to patrician.
2. One of the common people or lower classes.
3. A coarse, crude, or vulgar person.

He was unashamed of his plebeian roots but keen to provide himself with aristocratic forebears.

During the Soviet era, anyone of any ethnic background who did the dirty deeds demanded of them to get ahead was rewarded with a crummy but better-than-average apartment, a steady supply of cheap sausage and low-grade vodka, and a host of other plebeian amenities too dull to talk about here.

For cultivated Germans, politics was associated with grasping, greedy, plebeian men, out for their own selfish interests instead of the larger good of the nation.

Very generally, American public men before Lincoln had grown up in the environment of slave and free, master and servant, employer and employee, rich and poor, aristocrat and plebeian.

ADJECTIVE:
  1. Of or relating to the common people of ancient Rome: a plebeian magistrate.
  2. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of commoners.
  3. Unrefined or coarse in nature or manner; common or vulgar: plebeian tastes.
NOUN:
  1. One of the common people of ancient Rome.
  2. A member of the lower classes.
  3. A vulgar or coarse person.
  4. n] one of the common people
  5. [adj] of the common people of ancient Rome; "a plebeian magistrate"
  6. [adj] of or associated with the great masses of people; "the common people in those days suffered greatly"; "behavior that branded him as common"; "his square plebeian nose"; "a vulgar and objectionable person"; "the unwashed masses"
Synonyms:

common, lowborn, pleb, unwashed, vulgar