In Swalon Se Mujhe Bachao

chief

Prime VIP

Tum smoke ya drink toh nahi karte? Tum sleeveless toh nahi pehnti (Hope you don't smoke or drink, or wear sleeveless clothes)?
Getting married can make you stupid. That's what this winning entry from a contest by a marriage portal, on the most bizarre questions prospective brides and grooms are asked, seems to prove.

The contest, called `In Swalon Se Mujhe Bachao', was run by JeevanSaathi.com and concluded this week. It got 650 responses on the Internet and 280 on radio. All of them were a hoot. Sample this: "Beta, are your periods okay? Or will there be a problem conceiving?" Madhavi Sahdev, 32, a Mumbai-based entrepreneur, met a 40-year-old at a Barista coffee shop just to oblige her parents. The conversation turned to temples.

Madhavi said: "I am not a very religious person." His comeback: "So you mind if I become a Muslim?" Arvinder J. Singh, a psychotherapist in Delhi, does relationship counselling and has heard her share of stories. She feels questions have gone beyond asking a woman if she can cook and a man how much he earns. "Given that it's still a patriarchal society, the boy's side has more control and families look for status enhancement in a woman."

BEFORE THE I DOs, THE DO YOUs

1. Are you the kind who goes to a pub and wants a juice?
2. Would you prefer it I have a green card?
3. Kya aap ki friends sunder hain (are your friends pretty)?
4. In how many languages can you say `I Love You'?
5. Can you have a bath with half-bucket water? We have a water shortage 6. Son have you done an HIV test, can you show me the report 7. Can you make Sindhi curry?
8. Will you go to Vaishno Devi with me every year because I am a big mata bhakth?

And our favourite:

9. Do you have bath with Lux soap?