Exploring the architecturally amazing Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3950030765.jpg
At last count, the official number of hotel rooms in Dubai city stood at 67,369. A harrowing figure, one would assume, especially if you're a new entrant to the hospitality industry. This is an already crowded and competitive market where USPs often determine occupation and eventually popularity.

The Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel is unlikely to have that as a problem. Taking on the theme of the already popular mall (based on the travel of the great 14th-century Berber explorer of the same name, for the uninitiated) nearby, this new destination has USPs aplenty: themed floors, themed restaurants and a huge statement arch at the edge of the city.

The first thing that strikes you about the hotel is the enormous lobby. Striking and stunning, the 88 bespoke lanterns that hang gloriously from the high ceiling light it dramatically, accentuated by a water feature at the centre. Setting up the lights of the 90x30-metre lobby took 60 weeks to finish.

The hotel's star restaurants — Mistral (all-day dining), Chor Bazaar (Indian), Sicilia (Italian), Shanghai Chic (Chinese) — spill over with the Moroc Lounge and Bar, and gourmet shop Pastane for quick bites and afternoon tea, on the same level.
The Ibn Battuta Gate, with its iconic arch
Step into Turkey

I checked into the expansive Turkey Suite, which has the biggest balcony I have seen in a hotel, complete with additional seating and dining arrangements. The interiors stick to the theme, the one I stayed in comprising mostly reds with Arabian lamps. A well-equipped and internet-ready study table, a four-seat dining table and two entertainment centres (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) along with other essentials complete the look. The touch-enabled communication system was, unlike many hotels, easy to use and decipherable.

The bedroom was spacious, with the luxurious bed placed in the centre of the room. You could literally run in circles here if you wanted.

But I was most impressed by the bathroom, the size of which can easily rival many bedrooms in the city. With the standalone tub looking out into the bedroom, separated by a curtained glass wall, of course (I love bathrooms that do that), the shower area was themed like a Turkish hammam and could comfortably fit four adults. Space, it seems, is not an issue at all.

Suit yourself

All suites (there are 29) come with an adjacent connected double room (optional) and a separate lift located right outside. Although, with the present set-up, this means a longer walk to the main exit once you reach the ground floor, I'm sure it suits those looking for the ultimate privacy who, upon request, will have a separate exit.

But while it has everything going for it, the Ibn Battuta Gate Hotel doesn't offer much on the location, besides its close proximity to the mall. My balcony overlooked Shaikh Zayed Road and beyond it, the factories, hiding the sea. The sight of giant chimneys spewing flames mixed with power lines and their supporting towers might inspire some artist, but not me.

Still, curling up in the tub with a magazine, and occasionally looking up at the large screen in my bedroom pretty much makes up for it. Sometimes, that is all you need.

Inviting facades

Ibn Battuta Gate is the latest visually stunning hotel in Dubai. Here are some of our favourite architecturally-inspiring places to rest your head.

Atlantis, The Palm
3953628030.jpg

When it comes to sheer grandiosity, it doesn't get bigger than Atlantis, The Palm. Architecturally modelled after Atlantis, Paradise Island in the Bahamas, this resort, opened in September 2008, has everything going — from global A-list celebrities to the simply rich. Our ambition is to get into the signature Bridge Suite, its most luxurious, which boasts floor-to-ceiling views of Dubai. At about $35,000 (Dh128,555) a night, it might take us a while but we're not giving up.

Burj Al Arab

A round-up of landmark hotels wouldn't be complete without the most iconic of them all. Architect Tom Wright's brief was to create a symbolic statement for Dubai and boy, didn't he? Not even the tallest tower can dwarf this beloved landmark. On the 25th floor with a private elevator, private cinema and everything else your heart could possibly want, is the last word in luxury — the two-bedroom Royal Suite.

Jumeirah Emirates Towers

Atlantis, The Palm

Another Dubai landmark, this exclusive business hotel includes 40 luxury suites, with the three-bedroom Royal Suite featuring everything from luxurious bathrooms with Jacuzzi baths, private dressing rooms, a fully equipped office, kitchen and floor-to-ceiling windows.

[/img][/COLOR]