Easy embroidery tutorial
What you’ll need:
An embroidery hoop
Embroidery floss in a bold color
Needle big enough to thread the floss
What you’ll do:
1. Decide where on the handkerchief you want the monogram to go. (We usually choose one of the corners about two inches away from the hem.)
2. Disassemble your embroidery hoop—you should have two hoops, where one fits inside the other. Lay your handkerchief over the larger hoop on a flat surface, with the corner where you’ll be working inside the hoop’s circle. Place the smaller hoop over the handkerchief and the larger hoop, so that the handkerchief is pulled taut. Tighten the hoop if necessary.
3. Using the pencil, lightly sketch and outline your mom’s initials in pretty calligraphy in the corner you’ve selected (they should be slightly wide so you’ll have room to fill them in). Add a small heart outline.
4. Thread the needle and knot the tail. Start to sew the design by using short horizontal stitches along the width of each letter, being sure to go in the same direction each time and not leaving any space between the stitches--overlap them slightly. Once you’ve finished, move onto the heart.
5. Use vertical stitches to fill in the heart, starting from the top left and working your way down and across, being sure not to leave any white space between stitches. Finish your last stitch on the backside of the handkerchief, knot and trim the end of the floss.