Yuvraj happy to hit form

Saini Sa'aB

K00l$@!n!
Yuvraj Singh has signalled his return to form with a blistering double-century for Rest of India against Mumbai on the fourth day of the Irani Cup in Jaipur. Yuvraj, who has lost his place in the Test side to Suresh Raina, missed out in the first innings when six of his team-mates made scores of 72 or more.

His unbeaten 204 virtually shut Mumbai out of the game, setting them the gargantuan target of 782. Yuvraj was particularly pleased with his knock as it come on the back of a period of injuries and bad form - and 12 months without an international century - which he has termed his "toughest year".

"I wanted to be back in form after long lay-off due to injury. I am happy that I did it," Yuvraj said at the end of the day's play. "I was just trying to play straight in the initial phase and had resolved to post a big score. I was trying to play on the merit of the ball. The pitch was nice and the ball was coming nicely onto the bat."

Rest of India had gained a 394-run first-innings lead but Yuvraj had decided not to enforce the follow-on, a decision which has been criticised by former Indian captain Sunil Gavaskar, who felt the move was an indicator that teams on the domestic circuit don't push hard enough for wins.

Yuvraj, though, defended his decision. "The pitch is flat and I feel it was very difficult to get opponents out twice on such a surface," he said. "Our bowlers were too tired so I thought of giving them a bit of a rest and that is why we decided to bat again instead of forcing a follow-on."

Mumbai finished the day on 79 for 0, needing an outlandish 703 more to win the Irani Cup for the first time in more than 12 years.