Youth survives after iron bar pierces

Quick Register
User Name:
Human Verification

Go Back   UNP > Chit-Chat > News

UNP Register


Old 19-Jul-2008
Youth survives after iron bar pierces

NEW DELHI: For 23-year-old Supratim Dutta, who miraculously survived after being impaled by a five-foot-long iron angle, this is a "new life". After being pronounced out of danger by doctors, Supratim is on the road to recovery and hopes to go home in a week's time.

From his bed at the AIIMS trauma centre, Supratim attributes his new lease of life to all those who rescued him from the accident site and rushed him to hospital, and of course the team of doctors who attended on him. "It is a new life. And I want to thank all those who brought me to the hospital and doctors for saving my life," said Supratim.

He suffered multiple injuries when the car he was in on the morning of July 12 met with the accident on MG Road. The iron angle which pierced his body damaged a number of his organs. Due to the damage to hs lungs, Supratim gets breathless easily while talking.

Recalling the fateful morning, Supratim said: "The driver was speeding and driving rashly. I'm not sure, but he (the driver) was easily going above 90 km/hr. He appeared to be sleepy. There was hardly any time to act."

The impact of the accident was such that the iron angle lying on the road pierced through the bonnet, dashboard and then through Supratim. By the time he realized the extent of his injuries, the driver had fled.

"Seconds after the accident, I realized that the iron angle had impaled me. The driver was gone. The was excruciating and I saw some blood oozing out of my chest. I immediately called by cousin Sandeep. But he didn't answer the phone and then I called one of my colleague who was at home. He informed my friend Saurabh Aggarwal who came to the spot from office. I then called my mother and informed her. I was really scared. I told her ma I might not survive. She told me to pray," he said.

Nearly 45 minutes after the accident, passersby started rescue operations and a gas-cutter was called to cut the angle. "The pain was increasing with each passing minute. I just wanted to reach the hospital, as I was feeling drained and had no strength to even sit. But I couldn't lie down. I was losing confidence that I would be able to survive as I had no energy and the pain was unbearable," he said. But once he was taken to the operation theatre, Supratim gained a little strength and saw a ray of hope. After being wheeled into the OT, the next thing he remembers is waking up in the ICU, surrounded by doctors.

Doctors say Supratim is recovering and is out of danger. "He is doing fine. Today he walked and did some breathing exercises. It would take four to six months for complete recovery, but we will discharge him in a week's time. He has to take some precautions like not lifting heavy things for sometime and do strenuous exercises," said Dr Sushma Sagar, assistant professor, surgery, and Supratim's operating surgeon.

Old 19-Jul-2008
Re: Youth survives after iron bar pierce

4 him..

Post New Thread  Reply

« SIX-YR-OLD RAPED BY NEIGHBOUR | India Sea Bridge, Mumbai »