Wrongful Convictions

pink puma

Elite
Our justice system, in most western-democratic countries, is designed to uphold the truest notions of fairness and equality. However, sometimes the justice system also makes mistakes such as wrongfully convicting someone for commiting a crime they did not.

I was reading the news and I came across this article about a 40 year old man who was convicted in 1984 for the murder of a hotel manager. From the day this man was convicted, he pleaded non-guilty and insisted he was innocent. He spent from 1984-2007, 20+ years in jail, mostly on the death row. Recently, he was just days away from being executed. However, days before his execution, a lab report discovered that the blood of the real murderer did not match the convicted man, therefore the court discovered he was innocent.

The judge awared the man $14 million and let him free.

Here is my question to you guys and please discuss this. Do you think $14 million is really justifiable for the amount of mental, social, psychological damange that has been done to this man, after having spent 20+ years behind bars? If he was convicted in 1984 that means he was 23. He spent the most critical years of his life in jail. 23 is the age where people decide to become something, to accomplish their dreams both professionally and personally, to find a life partner, and raise a family. This was all taken away from the man.

Of course he can still get married and have a career and everything but think about it. Hes 40. Who will want to marry him or hire him knowing he spent 20+ yrs in jail even if he was innocent.

So taking this all into consideration, do you think giving him $14 million will really improve his life? why or why not.

I look forward to reading your opinions about this topic...

Pums :rose

pps309

Prime VIP
A time lost is lost...with money you can not get backyour lost time.

Still its good that judiciary is giving him money for his future. They cannot recover his past but trying to help his future......not bad

pink puma

Elite
yeah i agree on that point pps.... and he probably wont need to work since he has $14 mio in his pocket now, but its just sad how all the joys of being in your 20s and experiencing things like a career and marriage is taken away from him. really sad. it makes you realize how precious life is :tear

pps309

Prime VIP
yeah i agree on that point pps.... and he probably wont need to work since he has $14 mio in his pocket now, but its just sad how all the joys of being in your 20s and experiencing things like a career and marriage is taken away from him. really sad. it makes you realize how precious life is :tear
yes that is very sad.
He lost his big chunk of life. He might have lost his dreams regarding career, home etc.
As I said leave judiciary even God cannot recover his past time.
Good thing is judiciary realised their mistake and accepted it. I know damage is irrecoverable.

J@tti

..Majajan..
14 MILLION.. I don't think I will earn that much money in next 40 years.. and he earned it in 20 years :roll

When your bank balance sits at 14 M, who would not want to marry you :roll

Even if he was at the verge of dying, he would have easily got himself a model like wife :roll

To err is human, but atleast they tried to make up for it. What else can you possibly do. With 14 M, I am sure he will be able to lead a good life. Where money can't buy everything, it can do a lot. Life makes sure you get what you deserve... if he did not deserve to be in jail for 20 years, life will make up for it in the coming years. God makes sure that justice prevails, for He alone can do that.

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
u talking abt 20 yrs......
back in India ik admi nu arrest kita c when he was in his late 20s...he was wrongly convicted, and his trial started last year and was released by the court due to the lack evidence...and when he got released he was abt 60-62 yrs....just imagine how long he had to wait....saari jawani jail ch katti, jadon jail gaya c, his son was abt few months old and now he is in his 30s...

pink puma

Elite
u talking abt 20 yrs......
back in India ik admi nu arrest kita c when he was in his late 20s...he was wrongly convicted, and his trial started last year and was released by the court due to the lack evidence...and when he got released he was abt 60-62 yrs....just imagine how long he had to wait....saari jawani jail ch katti, jadon jail gaya c, his son was abt few months old and now he is in his 30s...

that is so so sad :tear

punjab police v aye hi kardi aa......chak lainde banda ate fer dinde ghota......pher pushde ke tera name ki aa.......chori ik hundi bande 20-30 kutte jande.......maadi hoyi bande naal.......bhanve bande nu 20 m rupia mil gaya par usde oh 20 saal gaye jede ke usdi lifr da ahem hissa c.......par usnu kush taan miliya na...vechara sirf jail joga taan nai reh gaya.......par hun bhanve oh jini maezi vadiya life kadh lave 14 m naal par usnu oh time taan nai vapis milna na.......par mainu lagda usnu 14 m den di bajaye sirf 14 lakh de ke saar ditta hona.......sad.........kai vaar justice system ch galtiyaan ho jandiyaan........

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
Do you think $14 million is really justifiable for the amount of mental, social, psychological damange that has been done to this man, after having spent 20+ years behind bars? I

yaaar apni gal kahan

dekhi 20 saal de $ 14 million ..
10 saal de bane $ 7 million
5 saal de bane $ 3.5 million
1 saal de bane $ .7 million

$ .7 million matlab ki around 3.5 crore indian rupee

oo je aa hasab katab hai.. ta bai mainu 3 4 saal lai andar dedo... naukri ch v bande da wad to wad 30 40 lakh da package lagda..

a scheme sabto wadiya.. andar jake vehle rotiyaa todo te sade tin crore da package :roll:roll:roll

pink puma

Elite
yaaar apni gal kahan

dekhi 20 saal de $ 14 million ..
10 saal de bane $ 7 million
5 saal de bane $ 3.5 million
1 saal de bane $ .7 million

$ .7 million matlab ki around 3.5 crore indian rupee

oo je aa hasab katab hai.. ta bai mainu 3 4 saal lai andar dedo... naukri ch v bande da wad to wad 30 40 lakh da package lagda..

a scheme sabto wadiya.. andar jake vehle rotiyaa todo te sade tin crore da package :roll:roll:roll

lagda aaj tu mere haathon koot kahni :kuto