Worst three days in 60 years of my political career, says Atwal

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The last three days in the Punjab Assembly have been the worst in my 60-year-long political career, said Speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal after the conclusion of the Assembly session today.
“I earlier served as the Speaker of the Punjab Assembly during 1997-2002 and Deputy Speaker of the Lok Sabha during 2004-09. Leaders of various parties even from the Opposition would come to my chamber and exchange pleasant words each time the session concluded. But this one concluded on a bitter note,” Atwal said.
“As the Speaker of the House, my utmost duty is to conduct the proceedings according to the rules. I was merely following the procedure while taking up the agenda for the day. They (Congress MLAs) were stuck on the no-confidence motion which was rejected by the House. The SAD-BJP has an absolute majority so there was no point discussing it,” he said. “I am shocked at the language used by the leaders who stayed in the House for two nights. I provided them all facilities. I even ordered the resumption of electricity supply,” Atwal said.
On the hurling of the shoe inside the Assembly, the Speaker said: “I will look into the matter as per rules and proceed against Tarlochan Soondh, if rules permit.”
Atwal, however, claimed that he had no knowledge of any caste slur by Akali MLAs. “I was too busy in passing the Bills on the last day of the session before the House adjourned sine die. I could not hear anything in the chaos,” he claimed.
When questioned whether he was interested in contesting the elections, Atwal said: “I am absolutely fit and will like to contest. The final call, however, will be taken by the party high command.”
Asked why no action was taken against Pargat Singh for changing his seat without seeking permission, Atwal said he did not receive any complaint in this regard.