Woman claims husband killed her father

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
5 May

A 35-year-old woman has alleged that her husband and his brother beat her father to death at their Shalimar Bagh residence when he tried to stop them from beating her up.

The postmortem report, however, states that the victim, Jagannath Malik (62), died of a heart attack and his body bore no injury marks.

According to the complainant, Renu Juneja, she called up her father for help on Saturday night when her husband, Shyam alias Tony, and his brother, Sanjeev, started beating her up over a minor issue. However, when her father and brother arrived from Tilak Nagar around 10 pm, they were also allegedly thrashed up. Malik could not take the beatings, said Renu, and died soon after he was taken to Max hospital.

However, according to police, the postmortem report states that Malik died of a heart attack. ‘‘Malik was reportedly suffering from high BP, which may have caused the heart attack due to excitement, as they did have a verbal bout with Renu's in-laws. Hence, we have dropped murder charges against Shyam and his brother,'' said a police officer.

Renu, on her part, claimed that she was being harassed for dowry for the past 12 years. The altercation began on Saturday when her children, aged 12 and six years, were allegedly denied water. ‘‘Look what they have done now. They killed my father,'' she said.

The police said that the entire locality there suffers from a water problem. ‘‘Their area suffers from an acute water shortage. Renu sent her elder son to switch on the pump, but Sanjeev, who stays on the first floor of the same house, told them not to do so, as the motor could burn. Renu didn't pay heed and filled two buckets, which sparked the row,'' said an officer.

Based on Renu's complaint, Sanjeev and Shyam were detained by the police. When contacted, her mother-in-law Phoolan Devi (65) said, ‘‘My husband and I were sitting inside when the fight started. We tried to calm them down, but we left when they didn't listen. When Renu started screaming at Shyam, we thought it was a personal matter between the couple and did not interfere. She was threatening him and her brother beat up my sons and husband. Her father came around 10 pm and then left. Her brother returned at 12 am. We didn't know what was happening.''

She added the relation between Renu and Sanjeev had strained in the past few months over the water problem. ‘‘If she was being harassed for dowry, why would she wait for 12 years to complain? We never ill-treated her and neither did she. I don't know why she has changed suddenly,'' said Phoolan Devi.