Woman Attempts Suicide

Lily

B.R
Staff member
WOMAN ATTEMPTS SUICIDE

Raikot April 20:
Prompt rescue operation undertaken by passers- by and the police helped in saving the life of a Dalit woman, Saravjit Kaur, who allegedly tried to commit suicide by jumping into the Bathinda branch of the Sirhind canal near Dadhahoor bridge here yesterday.
The police has initiated a probe to establish the sequence of events leading to suicide bid by Saravjit. Meanwhile, the Ludhiana (rural) police chief has directed police officials to identify those who rescued the woman for suitably rewarding them.
Investigations revealed that Saravjit Kaur of Mandiani village got married to Ram Singh of Virak village about 12 years ago. Ram Singh used to allegedly harass her(Saravjit) on one pretext or the other.
“Instead of helping me, he always demanded money for consuming liquor. Whenever I refused, he used to thrash me mercilessly,” Saravjit Kaur, who is being treated at the local civil hospital, said today. The police is yet to register cases against Saravjit and her husband. Moreover, doctors have not declared her fit for getting her statement recorded with the police.