Why did you back Ramdev and ignore fasting Nigamanand: Cong

dc16

- dEsPeraTe cRaNky -
Why did you back Ramdev and ignore fasting Nigamanand: Congress asks BJP

The death of a 34-year-old ascetic, Swami Nigamanand, after fasting for over two and a half months to save the Ganga from pollution, came in handy for the Congress to hit out at the BJP, saying the opposition party should have supported his cause instead of the "high flying" Baba Ramdev.

Nigamanand died on Monday at the Himalayan Institute in Dehradun, where coincidentally Ramdev was also admitted after his health deteriorated on the seventh day of his fast against corruption.
Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh, taking pot shots at the BJP, said Nigamananda was fasting for more than 100 days and there was no reaction "whatsoever" to his campaign from the Bharatiya Janata Party-led Uttarakhand government.

"Here is a high-flying swami Ramdev who is on a money making spree, raising issues which he does not understand, raising issues which he does not comprehend and gone on a hunger strike,... and you have leader of opposition, and the chief minister visiting there," he said.
Singh was referring to senior BJP leader Sushma Swaraj and Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal's visit to Ramdev when he was on his fast at his ashram in Haridwar.

Singh also slammed spiritual leaders who met and urged Ramdev to break his fast. Ramdev broke his fast Sunday at the request of spiritual and religious leaders, including Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and Morari Bapu.
"Swamis all over were reaching there and making him break his fast. I think this is what the BJP is, they say something and do something," he said, adding that the BJP should have supported Nigamananda "which they have not done because of which he had to die".

Congress general secretary Janardan Dwivedi also took on the BJP and the Uttarakhand government.

"The government had all the information. Despite that it did not pay attention (to the ascetic). I feel that everyone should convey their feelings against this insensitivity," he said, adding that the state government should ensure that "such incidents do not recur."

Baba Ramdev, who was discharged on Tuesday said: "The saint (Nigamanand) was fasting for the Ganga since the last many days. He laid down his life for the Ganga. I pay my tribute to Swami Nigamanand."