Warne denies India coach rumours

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2621695831.jpg

Dubai: The hottest and most wanted job in world cricket is up for grabs and the merry-go-round has already started on who will take up the job.

The post of Team India coach is now vacant with Gary Kirsten having stepped down and speculation is rife over who will take over the reins.

Indian media reported yesterday that Australian spin legend Shane Warne was interested, although the former great later denied it on Twitter.

"Just got told on bus — apparently I put my hand up to coach India. Wow — first I have heard of it — Sorry to disappoint but never said that!!!" Warne tweeted.

Leg-spinner Warne, 41, is in the country to take part in the Indian Premier League where he leads the Rajasthan Royals franchise in the lucrative Twenty20 competition, starting tomorrow.

Some media reported earlier yesterday that Warne had shown interest in the job. "It is a very difficult job to be India coach, it is never easy," Warne was quoted as saying in the Mail Today newspaper.

"But with India doing so well, it is a lot easier to take over right now than it has been in the past. I'll enjoy working with the Indian cricket team for sure."

According to information, BCCI is looking for a coach who is not headstrong and can get along with the players. Hence, even high profile Dave Whatmore has not been considered.

England team coach Andy Flower is under consideration being very similar to Kirsten in mannerisms, so also are some senior Indian players.

[/img][/COLOR]