Virat Kohli says the ton will give him a lot of confidence

Saini Sa'aB

K00l$@!n!
Virat Kohli, who starred in India's five-wicket win on Wednesday, said he was under pressure to perform and the 118 against Australia would certainly give him a lot of confidence.

But the Delhi batsman feels this knock would still not guarantee him a place as the competition for the number three slot is quite tough.

"Honestly, I was struggling to get runs. I had not scored in last six-seven matches. I was under pressure... I was not hitting in the gaps. It was very satisfying and it gives you a lot of confidence when you score chasing under pressure," Kohli said about his third one-day century, which incidentally his best so far.

"I will not say my place is cemented. I have to keep performing well in few more chases... I have to be consistent," Kohli added.

Kohli hit a 121-ball 118 to help India register the win over Australia and take a 1-0 lead before the third and final one-dayer in Margao, Goa.

"It (the win) is a good sign, it shows we have a good bench strength. In fact, the competition to get into the side helps in developing the hunger and you score more runs," he said.

Asked whether he had matured as a batsman post his knock against the world number one, the Aussies, Kohli said, "I think, you try to learn a lot at international level.

"You try to learn from the mistakes... You tend to fail sometimes... This is part and parcel of the game... You do the basics right and train hard, it pay back."

"I didn't perform well in last two series. I could not convert my scores into big knocks. There was a struggle for a place," he added.

Kohli also thanked Yuvraj Singh who extended a fine support in building the Indian innings with a 137-run third wicket stand.

"I think, someone like him at other end helps you. He has so much experience. It takes a lot of pressure off you. I had that advantage. It was a good partnership and it set the pace for us to capitalise in the end," he said.

This was a third straight win for India in the coastal city and Kohli said, "I am really happy if it happened. and I could contribute in that."

"The mood in the dressing room was very good especially after beating them 2-0 in the Tests. It got us a lot of confidence."