Vijender Singh wins gold in Commonwealth Boxing Championship

prithvi.k

on off on off......
######

NEW DELHI: World number one Vijender Singh (75kg) fought through a bleeding nose to clinch his first international gold medal in two years as Indian pugilists made a clean sweep in the finals to win the overall team title at the fifth Commonwealth Boxing Championships on Wednesday.

With Asian champion Suranjoy Singh (52kg), South Asian Games gold medallist Amandeep Singh (49kg), Asian silver medallist Jai Bhagwan (60kg) and Paramjeet Samota (+91kg) also triumphing in the finals, it turned out to be an all-win day for the hosts in front of a houseful crowd.

The gold rush started early for the Indians when Olympian Dinesh Kumar (81kg) got a walkover against Scot Callum Johnson, who was declared medically unfit due to a right wrist injury this morning.

In the last bout of the day, Olympic and World Championship bronze medallist Vijender thrashed England's Frank Buglioni 13-3 despite a bloodied nose.

"I was scared that the bout may be stopped and I would be declared medically unfit. Bleeding was just not stopping. I was constantly looking at the judges to see what they might do," said the 24-year-old Haryana boxer, who was adjudged the best boxer of the tournament.

"A gold medal after two years (the last being at the Chemistry Cup in Germany in 2008) is obviously very satisfying," added the strapping six-footer, who started the year with a silver in an invitational tourney in China in January.

Sharp and swift with his movement, Vijender out-witted his rival, who repeatedly tried to hit him on the injured nose. Scoring mostly through straight right punches and left hooks, the Indian was 3-1 up in the opening round and despite being tentative after injuring his nose, Vijender remained ruthless enough to land some telling jabs on his opponent.

Buglioni ran out of steam in the final three minutes and Vijender even dared him with an open guard after taking complete control of the bout.

"Vijender is very quick on his feet and that helped him remain in control. As far as the bleeding goes, I would say, god protected him today because the blood was just not stopping despite applying ice," said national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu.

Earlier, the day started perfectly for the Indians when Samota eked out a hard-fought 7-3 triumph over New Zealand's Joseph Parker.

Samota trailed 0-1 in the opening round but came back strongly with a flurry of straight punches to unsettle his rival. The two boxers were tied 3-3 in the second round but the Indian nosed ahead in the final round as Parker began to tire out.

"I tried to settle down in the first round and though I was trailing, I was confident of coming back and the massive crowd support also helped me. He began to look tired after the second round and that's when I attacked him the most," said Samota, for whom it was a career-best performance.

Oyeee Boxing .... ajah come-on hit me come-on ######

_Gifty_

I am a Joker
Re: Vijender Singh wins gold in Commonwealth Boxing Champion

wait a second .. Commonwealth .. aren't they starting in october in delhi ??