Verdict: Krazzy 4

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
Cast: Irrfan Khan, Arshad Warsi, Rajpal Yadav and Suresh Menon

Director: Jaideep Sen

Krazzy 4 is one of those comedies that's not very funny in the first place. Irrfan Khan, Arshad Warsi, Rajpal Yadav and Suresh Menon play four mentally challenged patients who're taken to watch an India vs England cricket match because their psychiatrist Juhi Chawla thinks it might teach them a few things about team spirit.

When Dr Juhi is mysteriously kidnapped however, our four protagonists are left to their own devices, roaming the streets unsupervised, with both cops and gangsters in hot pursuit.

Blatantly ripped off from the Michael Keaton-Christopher Lloyd starrer The Dream Team, I'm willing to agree the plot of Krazzy 4 does inspire maybe three or four genuine laughs, but that's it, really that's just it. For the most part, the script is flat and unfunny, relying almost entirely on the four leads to save the day.

That, unfortunately, is an impossible task even for talented actors such as these who pull faces, deliver clever one-liners, and try every trick in the book, but can't sadly rise above this severely flawed script.

Usually even the worst films have at least some redeeming qualities, but where Krazzy 4 is concerned, it's difficult to understand exactly why this film was made. Didn't anyone concerned with the film notice that the script is incoherent?

Didn't anyone realize that the humour is juvenile and slapstick and it's the kind of humour you've seen so many times before? Didn't anyone think of re-shooting all the dull bits so at least some part of the film might actually be watchable? The answer to all those questions is obviously no.

Krazzy 4, if you ask me, is a fitting title for this film except that I'd like to change the number four to the number 12 or 13, or whatever number of crazy people are responsible for bringing this film to the screen. It's a shame that talented actors like Juhi Chawla, Irrfan Khan and Rajpal Yadav have been wasted in a thankless film like this which they will look back at years later and think of as a bad dream.

If there's anything at all besides the end credits that brings a smile to your face while watching Krazzy 4, I'd have to say it's the two item songs in the film -- one each by Shah Rukh Khan and Hrithik Roshan. And to be honest, even the one with Rakhi Sawant isn't too bad. But these are alas, small pleasures in an otherwise miserable movie-going experience.

A word here for Ashwani Dhir, the film's dialogue writer who holds the unique distinction of delivering a triple whammy of disasters back-to-back -- "1 2 3" just a fortnight ago, and now U, Me Aur Hum and Krazzy 4 both in the same week.

Dhir's lines are amateurish and laboured and they're largely responsible for why none of these films worked for me. But blame has to be shared by the film's director Jaideep Sen whose treatment here is indifferent, showing neither artistic flair nor solid grip over screenplay.

Because it's a khichdi of cheap humour, unimpressive acting, and a directionless plot.

I'm going with just one out of five for director Jaideep Sen's Krazzy 4. It's a tragedy disguised as a comedy that I wouldn't even wish upon an enemy.

Rating: 1 / 5 (Poor)