Valley leader defers ‘beef party’ as BJP mulls action

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
Amid the row over the J&K High Court order on beef ban in the state, the statement of a Valley-based BJP leader about arranging a beef party has caused embarrassment to the saffron party.
Even as BJP leader from south Kashmir Khursheed Malik has said he had deferred the beef party that was scheduled for today, the party high command has sought a report and is mulling action against three leaders of the Valley.
Malik, who had unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly elections from the Kokernag constituency, had created a stir by stating that he would hold a beef party. He had termed the court order on the ban ‘religious interference’.
“I was not in Kashmir and due to the shutdown (yesterday against the beef ban), I could not make the arrangements. I have deferred the programme,” Malik said after BJP sources revealed that his statement had irked the party high command.
Following the developments, a source in the BJP said: “His comment has been viewed as a publicity stunt.
The high command has sought a report and state president Jugal Kishore has already asked the Kashmir unit to collect newspaper reports of his statement and two other BJP leaders.
There is likelihood that strict action will be taken against them, especially Malik.”
He said the state president had also sought details of the comments made by Member of Legislative Council Sofi Yousuf and Fayaz Ahmad Bhat, who had unsuccessfully contested from Devsar in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district.
Yousuf had said the court should revisit its decision in the interests of the people of the Valley while adding that that beef was halal for Muslims and a ban could be challenged in the Supreme Court. Bhat had said the law banning cow slaughter should be scrapped.
The BJP source said these statements were ‘uncalled for’ from the party point of view.