Uthappa targets return to Indian team

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2390918420.jpg
New Delhi: Out-of-favour Indian batsman Robin Uthappa has given up the funky haircuts to get back into the national team and said he would gladly give up his $2 million (Dh7.34) Indian Premier League cheque if it were to help the cause.

The 25-year-old batsman played the last of his 38 one-day internationals in July 2008 but remains hot property among the IPL franchises for his fearless power-hitting and wicket-keeping.

Uthappa hopes to shine for IPL newcomers Pune Warriors, who paid $2.1 million for him in the player auctions, but his main goal is to use the Twenty20 tournament as a springboard to force an India recall.

"I would do anything to play for the country," Uthappa said. "Swapping the cheque would be a very easy thing to do, with my eyes closed. Coming back to the Indian team is the most important thing for me."

Uthappa, a key member of India's 2007 Twenty20 World Cup-winning team, was at one point India's answer to Kevin Pietersen, thanks to his hard hitting and haircuts.

Meaning business

He now wears his hair short and business-like, and insists he has matured as a player after being dropped for poor form.

"Unfortunately because of a shoulder injury, I missed an India comeback last year," he said.

"I missed playing for the country in the last couple of years but I think I have improved a lot as a cricketer.

"I have grown up and matured over the time and realised cricket is lot more than just fancy haircuts." While the showy hairstyles are gone, his flamboyant batting remains a delight to watch.

No mindless slogger, Uthappa is a smart cricketer who blends aggression with improvisation.

"You have to improvise, playing against top class bowlers and against certain field settings," he said. "But you should be mindful of your improvisation as well. "I used to play the scoop shot a lot but it's not my go-to shot any more. Probably reverse-sweep and switch-hit are."

While Pietersen has been credited for pioneering the switch-hit, Uthappa insisted the maverick English batsman was not his inspiration.

"I did not look at KP's video," he said. "I practise it in the nets very often. I'm a very instinctive player and if I feel the need I play it."

The right advice

Uthappa said he had learnt to stay away from unwanted advice fearing it might clutter his simple approach.

Batting advice is sought from India opener Virender Sehwag, who has a similar attitude at the crease.

"One person I look up to is Sehwag, I guess we have a similar game," he said.

[/img][/COLOR]