Two-year-old boy found dead in drain

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The body of a two-year-old boy, Happy, was found from a drain in Rajiv Colony here this morning. Two days ago, the child’s parents had an altercation following which his mother, Anju, had moved in to stay with her mother in the colony along with Happy. The child’s right hand was reportedly eaten up by pigs.
The police said according to doctors, slush from the drain had entered the child’s mouth following which he died of asphyxia. The police have not ruled out foul play. The drain was 6 ft deep and there was 4 ft water in it.
According to the police, last night, Anju had lodged a police complaint that her husband, Vinod, had forcibly taken away the child to his place in Budanpur. A police team went to Budanpur and searched Vinod’s place but the child was not found there.
“We enquired from neighbours whether they noticed any brawl or saw the child’s father take him away. They said they had not noticed any fight but had seen the child playing a few days ago,” said Naib Singh, in charge of the Sector 16 police post.
In the morning, a woman saw pigs eating the body of a child. The family was called and Anju identified her son. The police also visited the spot.
Meanwhile, Anju’s family has alleged murder. “Had the police searched for the child well in time, he would have been alive today. They didn’t take our complaint seriously. Vinod was in an inebriated condition last night when he forcibly took Happy away. He has murdered the child and intentionally thrown him in the drain,” said Sanjiv, Anju’s brother.
Talking to Chandigarh Tribune, Anju said, “My husband used to beat me up as he wanted to remarry. He would say that he would kill the child. Two days ago, when I was beaten up, I came to my mother’s house in Rajiv Colony. Yesterday, he was drunk and took Happy away.”
The couple had got married three years ago and it was an arranged marriage. According to the family, for the past couple of months, Vinod was idle and would often come home drunk.
The police said they were conducting investigations under Section 174, CrPC.