Tremors hit Dubai and parts of UAE

SHauKeeN GaBRu

Chardi Kala
Tremors hit Dubai and parts of Northern Emirates

10 September 2008

DUBAI-Several residents rushed out of their homes after they felt mild tremors at around 3.10 pm. There was widespread panic in Dubai and parts of Northern Emirates as people feared an earthquake had hit the UAE.
Dubai Police said the magnitude of the tremors was 5.7 on the Richter scale and the epicentre of the earthquake was South of Iran. The centre of the epicentre is 120 kms off Sharjah coast and the tremors in the UAE could have been after-shocks.
It was first felt in Sharjah and then spread to the other emirates. Civil Defence officials confirmed that they received several calls from residents in Bur Dubai, Deira, Fujairah and Sharjah. National Centre of Meteorology and Seismology are however investigating the earthquakeís magnitude.
Jamal Abdullah, director at the Earthquake Observatory in the American University of Sharjah (AUS), said, These tremors seem very similar to the ones experienced in November 2005. This is not new activity and could have been caused by the Zagrous fault that lies between the Arabian and Eurasian plates. Any movement in these plates could cause this.
Hundreds of office workers along Shaikh Zayed Road have been evacuated from their buildings since tremors were felt on Wednesday afternoon.
'My whole building shook, said Autumn Mooney, whose office is in Business Bay. We all had to evacuate the building. I’m not going back in there and everyone is a bit panicked. But I can still see construction workers going about their work and cars are going past.'
'I was relaxing when I felt the jolt. I thought my head was spinning but then my mother felt it too. Our chandelier began moving vigorously but it lasted for only 4 seconds. Many people have evacuated the building', said Sindhuja S. Rajan from Deira
'I had just come back from work and felt my doors were making a weird sound. Initially I thought it was the wind or it was the construction that was creating the movement. But when my sofa shifted slightly, my wife and I immediately picked our daughter and ran down to our car. It happened for just a few seconds but was frightening nevertheless', said Shrirang Pimplikar from Ajman

http://khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle08.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2008/September/theuae_September254.xml&section=theuae