Tragedy for businessman who lost 16 relatives in AI crash

dc16

- dEsPeraTe cRaNky -
For 24-year-old Saudi-based businessman Sameer A Shaikh going to attend the last rites of his grandmother, the Mangalore plane crash was a double blow as he lost 16 relatives in it. All of them, like Sameer, were going to Mangalore for the last rites of his grandmother, who died on Friday.

"I flew into Mumbai from Saudi Arabia yesterday and was scheduled to catch a Jet Airways flight to Mangalore this morning as I could not get a connecting flight from there," he said. Distraught over the tragedy that struck the family, Sameer said his maternal uncle, his wife and two children, besides 12 distant relatives were among those killed when Air India Express flight from Dubai crashed near Mangalore airport.

"I have been waiting here since morning and there is nobody to inform me about when the flight will depart. Several other overtaxed people who look as if they just ran the marathon are waiting like me for information about the flight to Mangalore, but there is no one to give us the correct information," he said.