Tendulkar turns down government housing

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, who was recently nominated to the Rajya Sabha, refused to stay in a government house allotted to him in the nation’s capital, saying it would be a waste of tax-payers’ money.

“I am not keen on staying in any government bungalow when I will be in Delhi for only a few days. I feel this would be a waste of tax payers’ money and it would be better if the bungalow is allotted to someone who needs it more than me,” Tendulkar told CNN-IBN yesterday before leaving for London.

The batting legend took his oath as Member of Parliament on Monday after being nominated for a seat in the Upper House last month. He was allotted a house which is opposite Congress general-secretary Rahul Gandhi’s house.

Tendulkar said the honour of being nominated to the Rajya Sabha was enough for him and not staying in the Delhi house would not affect his job as MP.

Perks and privileges

“I would prefer to stay in a hotel every time I am in Delhi. For me the honour of being nominated as a Rajya Sabha MP matters much more than the perks and privileges of the job.

“Not taking the house would not affect my responsibilities as MP. I do hope to attend a few days of parliament in every session,” he added.