Tempers flare in Kashmir assembly over killing

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Srinagar: The Jammu and Kashmir assembly descended into chaos yesterday as the People's Democratic Party (PDP) attempted to raise the issue surrounding the mysterious death of a ruling National Conference (NC) worker while in police custody.

Tempers flared as Speaker Mohammad Akbar Lone and opposition leader Moulvi Iftekhar Hussain Ansari traded abuses. The ugly scene forced three adjournments of the assembly. A sombre Chief Minister Omar Abdullah watched the unruly proceedings in silence.

The trouble started in the morning when PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti sought an adjournment of the session. She sought the suspension of the Question Hour and start a debate on the alleged custodial killing of Haji Mohammad Yousuf on Friday.

"A discussion on the matter is hardly justified at this stage and can prove counter-productive as the state government has requested the chief justice to appoint a sitting high court judge to probe the matter," Speaker Lone said.

PDP leader Muzaffar Hussain Baig wanted to raise some points over the speaker's rejection of their motion, but the members of the treasury benches, including several ministers, rose from their seats in protest, forcing the second adjournment.

Regret

When the house assembled for the third time, the speaker expressed regret over his remarks against Ansari and directed that these be expunged from the records of the assembly.

"I regret what happened in the beginning. I have close relations with Ansari and he has led me in prayers. The remarks be expunged from the record and media is requested not to carry the remarks," Lone said.