Technical glitches, slow server make DU admissions a nightmare for students

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
The first day of undergraduate admissions to Delhi University (DU) proved chaotic on Thursday with the server working at snail’s pace and students complaining about the process.
Of the few hundreds who cleared the high cut-off marks, many complained of being unable to complete the process at colleges such as Lady Sri Ram (LSR) College for Women, Gargi College, Vivekananda College, Kirori Mal College and Sri Venkateswara College, among other institutes.

Many were also asked to come back on Friday morning with their admission slips.
“Didn’t get the slip in the morning when we tried. We have been waiting at the college since morning. The volunteers are telling us that we will be taken to the computer room soon. I just hope everything gets done properly. It’s proving to be a long wait,” said Madhurima who came from Tirupathi to apply at LSR college.
Until last year, admissions were conducted both online and offline. However, this year, DU migrated the entire system online, including payment of fees.
“There were complaints that the server was slow in the morning. This could have happened as many students logged in and tried to download the form at one time,” DU officials said.
The new digital admission process requires students to first fill out a central registration form online with the name of the preferred course and college to which they are eligible. They must then bring a print out of the same to the college and have their certificates verified. After the verification, students can pay the fees online on the DU website.

“I’ve been here since 9:30... the entire procedure is too chaotic. I couldn’t get through Maitri College in the first cut-off. Waiting for the 2nd and third cut-off list,” said 17-year-old Vanshaja who applied to Maharaja Agrasen college with a 90. 25% in political science honours.
Students said they came to college without a print out of the registration slip as it became available online at the same time as the start of admissions – 9 am.
“The login registration process was complicated. I’ve been waiting since an hour. I’m not happy with the online registration process,” said Ritika who came for a seat in Shyamlal College for a Bachelors in commerce.
At LSR college, officials said they had allowed students to use the on-campus computer lab.
The admission process will continue till July 2 and the second cut-off list will be announced on July 4. The academic year is expected to commence from July 20.