Sri Sri calls on Baba Ramdev at hospital

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
Dehradun: Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Friday, met yoga guru Baba Ramdev here and requested him to end his fast because of his deteriorating health.

”Yes, Baba Ramdev spoke with me. He is better than before after glucose has been administered to him. Baba had to be rushed to the hospital earlier because his health was fast failing,” he said.

Sri Sri added, “He was very emotional and had tears in his eyes. He requested me to tell all those people fasting along with him at the Ashram to consume lemonade and honey. He was very concerned about them as there are many children also fasting.”

“No, the Baba has not yet been forced fed,” clarified Sri Sri, when questioned whether Baba Ramdev had ended his fast.

About the entire episode, Sri Sri felt developments had been “very unfortunate”.

On being asked about advancing the timing of his visit, the spiritual guru said a big deal should not be made out of it. “I heard he has been hospitalized, so I came to Dehradun directly rather than meeting him at the Ashram at the scheduled time of 7 pm.”

On the big question of his playing the mediator’s role to end the impasse, Sri Sri only said, “I will talk to the Centre.”

The spiritual leader met Ramdev at the ICU of Himalayan Medical Institute after the Yoga guru was taken to the hospital when his condition worsened on the seventh day of his fast.

It is believed that Union Law Minister Veerappa Moily had requested the Art of Living guru to meet Baba Ramdev and persuade him to give up his fast. However, there is no confirmation that the government is trying to negotiate with the Yoga guru.

Sri Sri was in Haridwar to perform the last rites of his father.