'slumdog' sweeps 8 oscars, rahman wins 2

Lily

B.R
Staff member
'SLUMDOG' SWEEPS 8 OSCARS, RAHMAN WINS 2

Los Angeles February 23:

The much acclaimed flick ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ won as many as eight Oscars at the 81st Academy Awards ceremony held on February 22 in Los Angeles. Music maestro AR Rahman created history by becoming the first Indian to win two Oscars for best original score in "Slumdog Millionaire" and its theme song "Jai Ho".

Danny Boyle won the Best Director Oscar for 'Slumdog Millionaire’ and Christian Colson, the producer received the Best Film award. The flick also got laurels to various of its technicians including - Chris Dickens for ‘Best Editing’, Resul Pookutty for ‘Best Sound Mixing’, Simon Beaufoy for ‘Best Adapted Screenplay’ and Anthony Dod Mantle for 'Best Cinematography'.

Rahman was overwhelmed and interspersed his speech with Hindi as well as Tamil after receiving the coveted trophy here on Sunday. "There is a dialogue from an old Hindi film - "Mere paas ma hai" - which means I have nothing but a mother. My mother is here, I have her blessings. I am glad she could be here," said Rahman. He ended the acceptance speech by saying "God is great" in Tamil, something he says after winning every award.

He shared the second Oscar for best original song for the film's theme number "Jai Ho" with noted Indian lyricist Gulzar. "All my life I had a choice between hate and love. I chose love and I am here," said Rahman after receiving his second golden statuette. Resul Pookutty created history by becoming the first Indian to win an Oscar for sound mixing for ‘Slumdog Millionaire’.

Pookutty shared the award with Ian Tapp and Richard Pryke for their work in the Mumbai-based fairy-tale journey of a slum boy. "This is unbelievable. I share this stage with two magicians? I dedicate this award to my country," Pookutty said in his acceptance speech at the ceremony.

Simon Beaufoy bagged the first Oscar for this real to the core movie based on Indian slum of Dharavi. Other films in contention included ‘The Curious Case of Benjamin Button’, ‘Doubt’, ‘Frost/Nixon’, and ‘The Reader’.

In his Oscar winning speech, Beaufoy thanked the author of ‘Q&A’ Vikas Swarup from whose novel the movie screenplay was derived from. While Anthony thanked Director Danny Boyle for giving him the opportunity, and also thanked his beloved wife for the support.