Singhvi quits as Congress spokesman

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi Congress MP Abhishek Manu Singhvi Monday resigned as chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on law and justice and as party spokesman in the wake of a CD controversy surrounding him, saying that he had done so to prevent "even the slightest possible parliamentary disruption".

Announcing his decision through a press statement, Singhvi said "canards and baseless allegations" were being spread about alleged inappropriate conversation on the CD.

Singhvi said he had informed Congress president Sonia Gandhi about his decision "not to brief the press" and his resignation as chairperson of the standing committee.

Refuting charges

"I have done this only to prevent even the slightest possible parliamentary disruption regarding the purported CDs being circulated about me. Since I am a disciplined party soldier, I did not think it fit to subject the party to any inconvenience on this account. All allegations are patently baseless and false."

Singhvi accused sections of print and visual media of spreading falsehoods about the contents of the CD and said there was no reference to any illegality, corrupt practice, or wrongdoing.

"People inimically opposed to me, who have assiduously spent over 10 days hearing, seeing, amplifying and distilling the CD have found no vestige of any reference, not even remotely, to any illegality, corrupt practice, or wrongdoing. Specifically, some sections of the print and visual media are spreading a falsehood simply by repetition and hearsay that there is reference in the CD to the promise of any post. No one has heard any such reference in the CD. There is none simply because it does not exist. It is pure imagination, wishful thinking and sensationalism," Singhvi said.