Sikh museum’s founder needs monetary

deepak pace

DJ_DEE

Kharar, January 3
A few politicians have since long being promising to provide all possible help to a founder of a makeshift museum depicting the Sikh heritage. This museum is situated near Lakhnaur village. Now, its founder plans to shift the museum to the Balongi area in Kharar.
Established about four years ago, its founder Parwinder Singh, a Chandigarh-based scooter mechanic, has been running from pillar to post for seeing financial assistance. “I started this museum with an aim to conserve the Sikh heritage in the form of statues,” said Parwinder.
His museum showcases about 35 statues, including those of Bhai Mani Singh, Maharaja Ranjit Singh and scenes of the atrocities on Sikhs by Mughal emperors. He is, now, in dire straits as the landlord has asked him to vacate the place at the earliest.
“It is impossible to move around with this infrastructure. I have been talking to the panchayat of Balongi village and hope to find adequate place for shifting the entire paraphernalia there,” he added.
Balongi’s sarpanch, Tarlochan Singh Mann, said about 2 kanal has been selected for setting up the museum somewhere near the cremation ground. “Cooperative Minister Kanwaljit Singh has already given nod to this proposal. We are now going to put it up as an agenda in our next meeting. By April, this museum will become our pride,” he added.
Besides making statues depicting Sikh history, Parwinder has also carved out statues of Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal and famous singer Gurdas Mann. While Badal is yet to see his statue, Mann has already seen it.
“A few months ago Gurdas Mann was here to perform at a show in Balongi. I had shown the statue to him and he expressed happiness over it. He promised to help me monetarily, but I have not been able to contact him as yet,” added Parwinder. He along with his wife has made these statues over a period of 10 years. And have used fibreglass and clay. He aim is to come up with a museum on the lines of Madam Tussaud’s Wax museum. “Its my dream to do extensive work on the Sikh history. I have been trying to do my best from my limited source of income. I have not taken any formal training for making these statues,” he added.