Shahi Imam alleges threat to life

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
LUDHIANA: In a complaint made to police on Friday, Shahi Imam of local Jama Masjid Maulana Habbeeb Rehman has alleged threat to his life, claiming four persons followed him a car when he was on his way for his daily morning prayers. He claimed that he suspected the hand of ISI behind the incident since his family was secular and stood for Hindu-Muslim unity.

He said that around 4 in the morning, when he left for the masjid, four people followed him in a car. "The driver and a person sitting by his side were holding weapons. They followed me right from the time I left my house, and I slowed down when I did that to let them pass. Suspecting their intentions, I did not get out of my car even after reaching the Jama Masjid. I knew they would shoot me the moment I stepped out. Luckily, some people known to me rushed to my side of the road when they saw. As they did that, the other car sped away."

The Imam claimed that he had received threat calls earlier too and that he had complained to police as well. Claiming that he suspected the role of ISI behind this, he said: "My family has always stood for Hindu-Muslim unity and even in the recent past its stance has irked many a fundamentalists and their organizations who have kept us on the hit list."

Saying that he informed police, including SSP RK Jaiswal, about the incident, he added: "I have demanded that security in the entire Field Ganj area be stepped up in view of the presence of major religious places like Gurdwara Dukh Nivaran Sahib, Jama Masjid and the church. I do not want security for me or the Jama Masjid alone but I do want that the culprits be traced so that there is no mishappening." SHO Division No 2 Surinder Mohan said, "We have received the complaint and are investigating into the matter."